• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi connection problems

jakkemaz

Lurker
Sep 15, 2010
Hi

My girlfriend just bought herself a Galaxy Europe (GT-I5500, I couldn't find it in the forum list, but it resembles the most to the Galaxy Apollo) and she's very pleased with it, however, we can't seem to get the browser showing internet content via our WiFi connection.

When scanning for our WiFi network, the mobile finds the network and asks for the WPA key. When we enter the correct key, the mobile successfully connects to the wireless network (IP address obtained), but when we open the browser, we always get the default error page that we need to check the network settings.

I went to my access point interface and there it is also showing the IP address of the Samsung Galaxy Europe (as also indicated on the mobile). Now, I'm not able to ping the IP address from the access point ... Is this normal or has this something to do with Android? I'd assume this should be possible, how else do the access point and the mobile communicate?

Is there someone who has any experience with this or who might show me the right direction to get this resolved?

Thanks a lot!
Jan

Update:
I've tested this again, but this time with my own sim-card (which still has enough credit for a 3G connection, unlike my girlfriend :) ).

In first instance, I got connected to the WiFi network and could browse some pages for 2 minutes. But then something went wrong again in the communication with the access point and I got the error page again.

After this, I disabled WiFi and tried surfing via 3G: this went perfect, no lag, speedy!

It has to be something with the wireless chip or firmware, no? Is this a known problem?

Thanks

Upvote 0
It is getting seriously close to class action time. I, as I'm sure many of you, have seen this issue on a lot of other forums.

Who fixes this? My ISP, Telus, says its not their problem. My cell phone company, Virgin told me to exchange my phone because it is defective and I did at The Source (aka Radio Shack) and the second i5500 acts exactly the same way. And how the hell do you actually get to talk to someone at Google or Samsung?

Telus, Virgin, The Source, Google, Samsung! WTF no solutions to this problem?

Upvote 0
@Jakkemaz
Have you tried a different Wifi network? I also do not know how well these phones support n-rated modems, make sure you're using the b/g settings in the router. Also, I personally still use WEP keys for the passcodes, but I know a couple devices had issues with WPA and WPA2, using both TKIP or AES. So if you can try a different wifi network, and maybe change to a WEP key temporarily to check if it works? And let me know:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones