• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wifi connection strange problem- NOT the usual

jjrose

Lurker
Sep 5, 2013
Hi there!
I'm having an extremely annoying problem. First so e background info:
I convinced my grandparents to buy a tablet. So we went out and got the Cnm 7DC-8.
It has android 4.1.1 We are connecting to the neighbours' WiFi with their permission. They have two networks, one with extender, one without. Of course the extender network signal is a lot stronger, the network without extender works, but not well enough for Skype which was one of the main reasons I wanted them to get a tablet.
The first day we could connect to the extender network but the next day it stopped working. When I try connecting it just says 'connecting' and doesn't connect however long I wait.before I start trying the signal is strong, while trying to connect it shows as poor even though it is good(checked with other device).
I can connect perfectly well to the network without extender which uses the same router.
This is not the apparently common obtaining IP problem, all I see is 'connecting'.
I have tried forgetting all networks, resetting to factory settings and turning on and off a million times. I've been searching for answers for ages and mostly just come up with the obtaining IP thing
Sorry for the long post, thank you if you are still reading. Am of course grateful for any help or idea. Here are my ideas, and more specific questions:
1. Can I downgrade android to try a lower version without a PC?
2. Can I upgrade? When going to the standard upgrade thing In the settings it doesn't change...
3. Is there any 'magic' app which will solve my problems and give me a chocolate chip cookie? I've already tried WiFi fixer..
4. If I order my grandparents their own router will that garantuee that it will work? That's A stupid question, ... forget that
Anyway,thx a million for any help

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones