• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi connects but no internet access.

sammybanda99

Lurker
Jan 18, 2015
I bought A Kyocera Hydro Vibe of eBay the phone has bad esn, so I tought if i bought i could use it on WiFi, when I got it delivered to my house I performed a factory reset to erase the previous owner information, After that I tried connecting it to WiFi but every time I connect it shows that is connected, but I try to go into my browser it says "You are offline". I tried connecting other devices to WiFi and they work fine Its just this phone that doesn't work.
I tried a few stuff:
soft reset my phone
turn off/on my router
factory reset my phone
and nothing works.
any Help would be grateful.

Was the phone rooted? If the phone is running a custom rom or had been rooted, it's possible that some system settings have been changed so even a factory reset won't fix it. If you are sure you are connecting to wifi (try airdroid or some other app with local network access to test) then your phone is either trying to use a restricted or non-existent proxy, or has DNS settings incorrect. Easiest way to test for improper DNS settings is to put a websites' IP in the address bar instead of the FQDN.

Try http://204.186.215.24/ (That's Google)

Upvote 0
If the local network doesn't work, then I've got to assume that you're not really connecting properly with Wifi. Could you try a public network like a Library or Starbucks?

When I type http://204.186.215.24/ it gives me Error code: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Okay, connection refused means it's receiving a response so you've probably got some bad proxy settings. Where exactly did this phone come from and who was the original carrier? (is it branded?)

Upvote 0
I bought A Kyocera Hydro Vibe of eBay the phone has bad esn, so I tought if i bought i could use it on WiFi, when I got it delivered to my house I performed a factory reset to erase the previous owner information, After that I tried connecting it to WiFi but every time I connect it shows that is connected, but I try to go into my browser it says "You are offline". I tried connecting other devices to WiFi and they work fine Its just this phone that doesn't work.
I tried a few stuff:
soft reset my phone
turn off/on my router
factory reset my phone
and nothing works.
any Help would be grateful.

I am having the exact same issue. Did you ever get this fixed?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones