Wifi defaultSupport

Last Updated:

1. guttyla

guttyla Well-Known Member

I gave a wifi extender in my house. I also use an auto wifi app. My regular wifi is a stronger signal, but when the wifi is initiated the extender is always selected...us there a way to set a default?

Advertisement
  2. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member

The only way I know how to do this is under settings-wifi delete the one you want to connect to first then reconnect to it this will move it to the top of the list. The problem with this is if your phone see's your extender first even though it is not at the top of the list or the stronger signal it will connect to it first.
    guttyla likes this.
  3. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Is it possible to have the extender use the same SSID as the WiFi router, or must it be a different SSID name? If it uses the same SSID, your phone *should* roam when the signal gets weak to a better signal.

Another idea is to use a pair of powerline adapters to connect the extender to the original WiFi using ethernet (if running cable is impossible/prohibitive), which will have a faster signal to the extender and give better performance. Albeit at a co$t...
    guttyla and OutOfPhase like this.
  4. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Another crazy option, I think, is that the phone may connect to secured AP's preferentially. If one is not secured it may pick the other. Some devices are like that.