• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WIFI FIASCO ON LOLLIPOP! HELP US! AGGGGHHHH!!!

ManoloDGreat

Apr 30, 2016
Hey guys! I updated my android 4.4.4 to android 5.1 and since then, I cant establish a reliable wifi connection. The google playstore isnt loading no matter what I do, I cant sign in using my google account, social media apps such as facebook, instagram, messenger and twitter DO LOAD, but i cant upload or send a picture! Ive searched so many forums about this problem and believe me I tried everything, such as rebooting the wifi router, changing wifi password, rebooting my phone and i even did a factory reset and yet the problem is still there. My 2 siblings who both have android phones that are also on android 5.1 are having the same issues as I am.

But wait! This is where it'll get interesting, these problems only occur when we are connected to our home wifi network!
Can anyone help us with this!?! Please!

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt
It sounds like it could be wifi channel interference (nearby routers using the same channel (frequency) as yours) which happens to have started at the same time you updated your phone. Do you have new neighbours or have they just updated their wifi?

Check for this using an app such as Wifi overview 360 (free on playstore - I guess you may need to go somewhere else to download it!). You may need to change the channel that your router transmits on by going into its settings.

Reactions: ManoloDGreat
Upvote 0
It sounds like it could be wifi channel interference (nearby routers using the same channel (frequency) as yours) which happens to have started at the same time you updated your phone. Do you have new neighbours or have they just updated their wifi?

Check for this using an app such as Wifi overview 360 (free on playstore - I guess you may need to go somewhere else to download it!). You may need to change the channel that your router transmits on by going into its settings.
Okay, so now i downloaded the app via apk download, it showed me the best channels for my network. I did choose the selected best channel. But after doing so, there are no changes.

Upvote 0
Try powering off your router and leave it that way for a couple of minutes. That way you'll get assigned a different IP address from your ISP (rebooting usually just retains the previous one).

If that doesn't work, try disabling IPv6 in your router settings.

If that doesn't work, and this is a real long shot, take a look at the date and time settings in your router. If for some odd reason it's way off, there could be an issue were the actual date/time your phones are using is conflicting with the bad router date/time (CA, or Certificate Authority, mismatch).

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Hi again

Not been mentioned, but have you disabled mobile data. If your phones are Samsungs there is a feature called "smart network switch" in the wifi settings which can cause issues if the mobile data signal is very strong (turn it off)

It may help to know what make/model phones you and your siblings are using, and whether other devices (laptops etc, if any) are able to hold a good connection.

Reactions: ManoloDGreat
Upvote 0
Also, try this test. On one of your phones using a web browser go to: https://www.google.com
If that works, never mind. If not try entering this and Google's search page should come up: 216.58.192.174[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks for replying. The browser actually works, even though sometimes it lags and doesnt load on certain sites such as facebook. The one thing I noticed though is that I cant have any access to the apps that need Google Services, I cant open my playstore, thus I cant download anything, I cant log in to my Gmail account, I cant log in to SnapChat. The facebook, messenger and instagram Apps, do load. But when im trying to send an Image or post a status that has a picture. It just wont upload.

Upvote 0
Hi again

Not been mentioned, but have you disabled mobile data. If your phones are Samsungs there is a feature called "smart network switch" in the wifi settings which can cause issues if the mobile data signal is very strong (turn it off)

It may help to know what make/model phones you and your siblings are using, and whether other devices (laptops etc, if any) are able to hold a good connection.
Hey thanks for replying I really appreciate it. My siblings have Samsung A8 and Galaxy J5. I have a local brand android phone that runs 5.1 Yeah, we dont use our phone's data at all.

Upvote 0
Update: a friend and I were in our favorite coffee shop last night. We were trying to connect to the wifi but neither of us got connected. Yes, the phone is connected to the wifi but the usual things happen, the google play store and the apps i mentioned above are still malfunctioning. These thing never happened when ny ohone was still running kitkat. She has a samsung Duos that runs Android 5.1 as well. F*ck this bug in the OS. Im actually frustrated to google not doing anything about this issue.

Upvote 0
Update: a friend and I were in our favorite coffee shop last night. We were trying to connect to the wifi but neither of us got connected. Yes, the phone is connected to the wifi but the usual things happen, the google play store and the apps i mentioned above are still malfunctioning. These thing never happened when ny ohone was still running kitkat. She has a samsung Duos that runs Android 5.1 as well. F*ck this bug in the OS. Im actually frustrated to google not doing anything about this issue.

A dual-SIM Samsung
. You're not in China are you, if not, which country are you in?
Google is being blocked by the government? Dual-SIM phones are usually for Asia.

FYI countries where you will or may have problems accessing Google services etc.
9jmd4bq8-1342613644.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I too am having Google Play Service problems after updating from Kitkat to 5.1.
My HUDL is only 15 months old and Play service won't update because it informed me that my tablet is TOO OLD!
As a consequence, other apps( music,photos,books, Google Drive) won't work
Can anyone help?
Tesco Hudl2? If so, someone else reported same thing, and a fix. Will post the thread later when I'm home.

Upvote 0
Go to settings>security>scroll down to
" unknown sources " tap here a warning
pop-up comes tap on OK button(check).
Now open the link below.
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-store/
From here select last version of the
Google play store and tap on it.
See next play store icon and download
Icon(sometimes need scroll down to download icon) tap on the download icon.
a warning pop-up comes tap on OK .
After finished download .
Go to settings>storage>downloads
Tap here and see the downloaded link
Tap on the link >install>done.
Play store is updated to the latest version.
Now go to settings>security>unknown
Sources>uncheck.
Reboot /restart device

Upvote 0
General stuff:

1 try safe mode. If problem goes away, problem is created by an app

2 try clear cache in recovery

3 Did you factory reset (or erase /overwrite user data partition) when you updated. If not, flaky things are expected...Think about doing a factory reset now ( back up your important stuff before you do)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones