• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiFi Grayed out in Airplane Mode

About halfway through my vacation in Europe, my HTC One M8 (Verizon) decided that when in airplane mode, wifi would be disabled. There is a little line next to the on/off button, and when airplane mode is on, wifi WILL NOT work, and the button is completely disabled. It worked fine for the first week, but it hasn't worked at all the last week. My wife has the same exact phone, and we have all of our settings exactly the same (from what I can tell), but her wifi works in airplane mode (just switch it on or off) and mine is grayed out and does no work. It is almost working like Mobile Data, in which turning on airplane mode disables wifi. Again, this is not happening with my wife's phone, and it never happened with mine (multiple international vacations where it worked fine). Does anyone know how to do this? I have searched many forums, but no one has answered this question no how to fix it.

Turning airplane mode on, will shut off all the radios. However you should still be able to activate WiFi though, because after all there's WiFi internet on many airlines these days. Because if it couldn't. I'm sure there would be a lot of people howling about it, especially a fairly popular phone like the M8.

Could try a reset, possibly it's just something funky going on with it.

Reactions: Phalon4
Upvote 0
Here we go, airplane mode, WiFi on. I was somewhere over Russia. :thumbsupdroid:

f2bfc88fc63e262e8ebf839cc8b9417d.jpg

All phones should be able to do it.

Reactions: Phalon4
Upvote 0
It is not while I am in the airplane. And while it "should" work (as it has for the past 2 years), it stopped working about a week ago. I am back in the US now, so it doesn't matter so much, but it is annoying, as you should be able to be in airplane mode AND have wifi enabled at the same time. My wife can do it on hers, and we have check the settings and they are exactly the same on both. Any further help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones