• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi help/discussion

I see several wifi threads but my issue isn't there so here goes.

Basically when I wake the phone I do not always see the wifi symbol. A second later, it appears, then connects. Trying to see if this is a problem or design behavior.

I have a Verizon HTC One, a week old (love it BTW) and an Asus RT-N66U router with firmware 3.0.0.4.270 (not newest but I'm loathe to upgrade because of reported issues), WPA2-Personal encryption, 2.4ghz. Strong signal (small house).

"Keep WiFi on during sleep" is ENABLED and "WiFi Optimization on Battery" is ENABLED.

What I've done/changed...

- Assigned a static IP on the router
- Set WiFi Frequency Band to 2.4ghz

Problem still persists.

My only concern here really is battery life. I'm on wifi mostly to preserve the battery (and use less data, natch). I don't really care if this behavior does not impact battery life but I'm guessing it has to.

Thanks for any input,

-kj-

Upvote 0
I am really getting annoyed at the wifi discovery notification popping up all the time, I just can't seem to get this turned off. I can always swipe it away, but it is back very soon. If I tap the notification, it takes me to an Android services app which won't disable (not sure if would want to anyway) and the checkbox for turning off notifications is greyed out so I can't uncheck it. In the wifi settings, under Advanced, the "Notify me" is already unchecked and there is no Network Notification checkbox there (it is only in the Android services, greyed out). There has to be some way to get rid of this thing without rooting.

EDIT: OK, I just got off the phone with HTC and they said that it can't be turned off on the Verizon HTC One. They said Verizon has opted out of that turn off feature since they want you to use wifi as much as possible to stay off of their network. Great.

I wound up here because I have noticed that on my T-Mobile HTC One, even though I tell it not to notify me of open wifi, I still get the notification. Maybe it's a bug instead of Verizon?

Upvote 0
Hey

The only thing that is actually giving me a problem right now is that when the phone is on WiFi, I don't get any notifications of Facebook messages or emails at all, for some reason. It might be some setting that I forgot I'd changed.
Any idea?

Edit: It's also constantly saying "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly." It indicates that the problem is restricted to a Gmail account's calendar, though.
^That was fixed when I turned sync off for the calendar, but now I realise that autosync doesn't work at all, on WiFi or Mobile Internet. It only syncs once if I switch from one to the other.
Help!

Upvote 0
Hello, everyone!
I'm using HTC One, a new phone I got half year ago, everything was so great, until this Christmas. After I reset my phone to factory setting, and started using it again. Problem happened, my Wi-Fi is stuck on obtaining IP address, scanning, and disconnect and loop continued. Cuz my Wi-Fi doesn't work, my phone keeps using mobile data, and my network usage has reached its limit!
Please, can anyone help me find what the problem is and fix it?
I tried to reset my phone, and my router, both doesn't work.
I've seen people suggest static IP, I don't like the idea.
Is there anyway that can fix this problem? All my friends are using Android and updated their systems, they don't have the problem except me :(
Please help! really appreciated!
Thank you!!!

Upvote 0
I wound up here because I have noticed that on my T-Mobile HTC One, even though I tell it not to notify me of open wifi, I still get the notification. Maybe it's a bug instead of Verizon?

I am on Sprint. I have the same problem. Actually a bit more annoying, because not only do I constantly get the notification, it even turns my WiFi ON. I turn the WiFi antenna off manually, because I know I am not in an area that will have WiFi that I can connect to. A little while later, I will look at my phone, and WiFi is turned back on, and I have a notification that there are WiFi networks available. Pretty sure it turns itself on, because I have the option for Wifi while sleeping, set to Always, since I want it to be able to grab any notifications or emails , but it seems odd that always overrides when I manually turn the antenna OFF. It seems logical to think that that option only relates to when you have WiFi on in the first place when the phone goes to sleep. If I turned it off, why would I want it to turn itself back ON when it goes to sleep?

The WiFi Network Notification option is not greyed out, but it doesn't actually do anything. If I put a checkmark in the box and exit out, when I come back to the settings, the checkmark is gone again.

So basically, if I have WiFi turned ON, it will ALWAYS notify me, no matter what I do. If I set it to allow it to keep the WiFi on when the phone goes to sleep, it takes that to mean, when the phone goes to sleep, turn my WiFi on, even if it was off when you went to sleep.

Upvote 0
These posts about the wifi issues since kitkat should probably be moved to the kitkat thread so they can be addressed properly.

--I have not experienced these issues.
--Have you forgotten the WiFi network and re-added it?
--Checked for channel interference using an app like WiFi analyzer and changed channels if necessary?
-changed the frequency band the phone is operating on (2.4/5GHz)
--have you done a factory reset on the phone after the update?

Upvote 0
I just added a Trednet 892.11 b/g/n AP to my home network to replace an outdated802.11 b/g WiFi router. It works fine, no connection problems but my connection speed is not much faster than it was before. Old WiFi connectedwith phone at 54mbps, new one at 72mbps. I have an old XP desktop in the basement with a usb WiFi adapter that connects at 144.5mbps. Why won't the phone connect faster when it is closer and has no obstructions between it and the AP? Any suggestions.

Upvote 0
Wi-Fi won't turn off. Even though I manage to disconnect it, it turns back on almost immediately. I have tried many settings in Wi-Fi -> Advanced (including unticking 'Scanning always available') but still the same problem. I also renamed Wi-Fi Direct to HTC One (as seen on another forum). It's pretty unpleasant bucause charging takes longer sometimes

I know it's Google trying to help us by collecting our locations using Wi-Fi instead of battery worst enemy:GPS but..

The only time the Wi-Fi is (partialy) disconnected is when power saving is on and the screen is off.

I am running 4.4.2

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to our forums!

When you say it will not turn off, do you mean the icon turns itself back on? If that is the case make sure there are no WiFi widgets on the main screens (they can mess with the settings) and then verify you do not have any apps that require WiFi.

You can check app that require WiFi by looking in settings > location and seeing what apps have location permissions.

You can disable location services completely on this screen, restrict it to GPS only, or go into the individual apps and disable or uninstall the actual app. There is no setting to individually restrict WiFi usage though.

Upvote 0
I have an HTC one with Sprint carrier but have the same problem with WiFi turning itself on. Notify is unchecked, WiFi optimization is unchecked, I've set it block certain Xfinity networks that I drive by often as well, but when I'm driving around using my phone GPS mapping I constantly get interrupted to sign into a WiFi network. I miss turn, drive by streets all the time because of this. It's not just the map because my kids watch YouTube when we go on drives and it still does it. Idt it's strictly a Verizon issue as suggested to another person's post. I've brought the phone into two different Sprint locations, spoken with Sprint tech support and called HTC support. Sprint techs say I must not be right because it's not supposed to do that. I say I know that's why I'm here complaining. HTC told me to send it to their repair center so they can check it out and they will fix or replace if needed but will leave me without a phone for 10-15 days. Any idea what if there's something they or I am missing?

Upvote 0
I have an HTC one with Sprint carrier but have the same problem with WiFi turning itself on. Notify is unchecked, WiFi optimization is unchecked, I've set it block certain Xfinity networks that I drive by often as well, but when I'm driving around using my phone GPS mapping I constantly get interrupted to sign into a WiFi network. I miss turn, drive by streets all the time because of this. It's not just the map because my kids watch YouTube when we go on drives and it still does it. Idt it's strictly a Verizon issue as suggested to another person's post. I've brought the phone into two different Sprint locations, spoken with Sprint tech support and called HTC support. Sprint techs say I must not be right because it's not supposed to do that. I say I know that's why I'm here complaining. HTC told me to send it to their repair center so they can check it out and they will fix or replace if needed but will leave me without a phone for 10-15 days. Any idea what if there's something they or I am missing?

All my sprint/vm phones had a crappy connections optimizer in the network settings. Not WiFi optimization. It liked to turn itself back on. See if you have that. Should be in your mobile network settings, or "more settings"

Upvote 0
I had a problem earlier with low speeds on my BT Infinity so I rang BT. They sorted the problem (which only lasted 2 hours) and they told me to select forget wifi on my phone and tablet and then just re input the router password. I did this on my HTC One and now it won`t connect.

It authenticates and then saves the hub but simply will not connect. Has anyone got any ideas as it`s driving me mad? Thanks.

Oh and after a while it`ll then change from saved to authentication problem!!!!!

Upvote 0
I just bought a HTC one (m7) today and its working fine! But for some reason my wifi speed is really really slow on this phone. My download speed is slower then my upload speed at the moment wich isnt normal I think. This doesnt happen on other phones/laptops in this wifi network.

Why is the wifi download speed so slow on my HTC one? It started while downloading the newer updates it took hours to download/install them. After that the wifi is still really slow. I tried a speedtest from speedtest.net and came out with a weird result:

1 Mbps download 5 Mbps upload

On my laptop connected to same wifi network:

40 Mbps download 5 Mbps upload

So the upload speed is fine but for some reason i only get 1 mbps download speed wich should be 40.

What is causing this and whats the best way to solve this?

Thanks for reading/help.

Router: Technicolor TG789vn v3

Phone: HTC One (m7 black)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones