• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wifi hotspot app for HTC Desire

ezza

Lurker
Nov 17, 2010
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a HTC Desire from Telstra and have looked into using it as a wifi hotspot so I can run my wifi ipad/laptop other devices off when I'm out and about.

I've search high and low on google and have come to the understanding that both of these apps may work - Barnacle or Wireless Tether - if your HTC phone is 'rooted'.

After a day of investigating what and how to root is I did it using the easiest way on unlockr's website... which seemed to work painlessly.

Before I rooted the device I installed both of the above mentioned apps but the phone new it wasn't rooted and would launch saying it wouldn't work...

Now I've tried running Barnacle - this app seems to be usless and wont broadcast a wifi signal whatever so ever - from my searchs through google this seems to be common with other HTC users.

However the wifi tether apps seems to try do something... it broadcasts a wifi signal, will allow other devices to see it and connect to it, however the flow of internet wont work what-so-ever... I've seen some other users also experience this same issue.. there isn't a clear understanding of exactly how to fix this other than 'play with the ip' settings, which is beyond what I know to do..

Can anyone assist at all.. the HTC Desire seems to be such a good handset but with this minor let down of a wifi hotspot.

Thanks in advance.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones