Wifi hotspot doesn't workSupport

1. TheInsomniac

TheInsomniac Member

Hello all,

I've been trying to use my wifi hotspot and it doesn't work. Devices "see" the network and connect to it, and data appears to be transmitted (based on packets sent/received in Win7), but nothing loads.

I have a Nexus S 3G on AT&T (I9020A). I'm running Gingerbread 2.3.4. The only solution I've found from searches is that the upgrade to 2.3.6 broke the wifi hotspot, but my phone doesn't seem to have upgraded, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Anyone have any tips on what I might be doing wrong or know how to proceed?

Thanks,
    TheInsomniac

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

What type of security are you using? I know for some device I have to run it open for them to connect.
  3. TheInsomniac

TheInsomniac Member

WPA2 PSK, just for a password. I was in a hotel and then an airport when I first tried to use it, so I thought a password was a good idea. I'll try it without, though.

EDITED: Same issue even when network is Open.
  4. TheInsomniac

TheInsomniac Member

I've found a temporary solution from this thread: Unable to Tether after 2.3.6 update - Google Mobile Help

Hopefully that loads, I could not find a direct link.

Basically, I changed one APN setting (replacing "mms" with "dun" in APN type), but the problem remained. I then went into Wireless & network settings\Mobile networks and unchecked "Data Enabled" and then rechecked it. Now my devices are able to tether wirelessly, though this "solution" is slightly annoying.