WIFI hotspot without using Sprint

Last Updated:

1. OriderUSA

OriderUSA New Member

Is there an APP that I can use with this phone, and have a WIFI hotspot? I hate to pay Sprint another $20.00 just to turn it on...

Advertisement
  2. tms592

tms592 Well-Known Member

3. gowcaizer1978

gowcaizer1978 Well-Known Member

simcha and Whiskeypawz like this.
  4. OriderUSA

OriderUSA New Member

FoxFi works great..thanks for the help.
  5. Whiskeypawz

Whiskeypawz Well-Known Member

It's no longer available for Sprint from the Market but if you follow the link posted it gives you a QR code & a link to download it. That's awesome, going to try it tomorrow & see if it works for me. Thank you! :)
    simcha and drexappeal like this.
  6. mak916

mak916 Well-Known Member

FoxFi does not work with HTC phones. You have to use it through Bluetooth to work on HTC phones.
  7. davect01

davect01 Active Member

I can confirm that it works perfectly on the Photon.
    simcha and drexappeal like this.
  8. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Thank you! This worked awesome! I also have to give thanks to a few people on here that had introduced me to QR Droid a while back. I had my doubts for a second, but never thought I'd be able to do this without rooting!
  9. rose0529

rose0529 Member

10. simcha

simcha Well-Known Member

Ok, it might be time to dump the hotspot charge. Yay!
  11. doneve141

doneve141 Well-Known Member

Worked for me. It took a couple of tries but connected and browsed just fine.
  12. itswaycool

itswaycool Active Member

13. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

It was already said above, that u can't install that way. You have to use a qr scanner. I use qr droid anyway, since it creates apk's.
  14. floorguy

floorguy Well-Known Member

i just used barcode scanner...installed just fine...havent tried it out yet though
  15. itswaycool

itswaycool Active Member

thanks installed from BarCode and seems to be working fine.
  16. krose1223

krose1223 New Member

So I checked the allow unknown sources and have downloaded foxfi (via the barcode scanner). Everything looks good.

I connect my laptop and kindle fire to my phone hotspot and both say they are connected etc but then when I try to browse it says cannot access the internet page....

what do I do next?

FYI I have a sprint samsung nexus 4g
  17. floorguy

floorguy Well-Known Member

dunno but i had an outage here the other day,

and i ran my lap top and main computer off it....(stupid sprint speeds :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:)

but it connected and worked ok
  18. JMC31337

JMC31337 Member

Root your phone
    Load CyanoGen Mod 7 (or get wpa_cli binary file)
    obtain the ultra_bcm_config binary

follow these instructions IF YA WANT TO BE A FAKE AP
    (IF YA WANT AD-HOC then google for iwconfig mode ad-hoc and play with your ifconfig net link bla bla bla)

Android from the command-line - Antoine Amarilli's blog

EXCEPT

insmod /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko will be

insmod /system/lib/modules/dhd.ko firmware_path=/system/vendor/firmware/fw_bcm4329_apsta.bin nvarm_path=/system/etc/wl/nvram.txt iface_name=eth0

and
    this
    ultra_bcm_config eth0 softap_htc AP none "" CHAN

becomes

ultra_bcm_config eth0 softap_gog APFAKER none "" 11

note: if ya need the binaries i can give ya the (iwspy iwpriv iwconfig etc.. and ultra_bcm)
  19. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Most devs these days should be able to hack the included sprint hotspot app. At least that's what the evo devs did
  20. panther550m

panther550m New Member

An interesting tidbit to add: A few months after this forum went dead the FCC ruled that blocking apps that allow tethering, or blocking tethering is ILLEGAL. This was ruled by the FCC in a lawsuit against Verizon in August 2012. Other carriers are following the same path allowing tethering in fear of a multi-million dollar law suit.
    drexappeal likes this.
  21. Masterchief87

Masterchief87 Well-Known Member

It's interesting that you mention that because MetroPCS has begun integrating software into their phones that blocks Hotspot use unless you are paying for tethering.
  22. Masterchief87

Masterchief87 Well-Known Member

Even if you use a tethering app that requires root access. Foxfi and pdanet only work for USB and bluetooth. And when you are using USB or bluetooth you have to use a custom user agent on your pc or else you get redirected to a page that tells you to pay for Hotspot.