Wifi indicator / icon

Last Updated:

1. shmicky

shmicky Member This Topic's Starter

I can't believe that the desire WiFi indicator is not on but greyed out when your WiFi is on but not connected.

Like it is on the iPhone. I have searched for apps that do this but can't find any. I forget to turn off WiFi sometimes, but with no symbol in the task bar I don't realise..

Anyone else agree?

Advertisement
  2. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

No.

I use the power control widget where you can see weather it's on or not.Not that it makes that much difference to me.

3. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

I agree this could be an oversight... It would be useful to know that wi-fi is on but not connected.
    Widgets do the trick though.

4. JasonC

JasonC Well-Known Member

I use a widget also, but I leave wifi on permanently anyway so it makes no odds to me. I still get over 24 hours use and more with it permanently on.

5. zoidy84

zoidy84 Well-Known Member

i just have no idea what you're saying! Sounds like a riddle to me! lol

6. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Well-Known Member

I use the HTC Wi-Fi and Mobile Network widgets on my main home screen, so I can easily see if they are on or off and can easily switch them on and off if needs be. For me, this covers the lack of a greyed out Wi-Fi icon in the notification tray, which I had never thought about until I read this thread.

I tend to leave the Wi-Fi and Mobile Network on, but turn Wi-Fi off if I'm going to be out and away from trusted Wi-Fi networks for a long period of time.

7. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Just enable wifi sleep mode in settings>networks and set to 15min.

I've found it uses next to no power over turning on/off - so I leave it on.

8. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Well-Known Member

I was using this setting, but am now using "Never when plugged in" so when it's charging overnight it uses the Wi-Fi for background updating and not the mobile network. Even using this setting I've noticed the Wi-Fi turns itself off after a period of inactivity with the phone on standby, so I don't see what you get extra with setting Wi-Fi sleep to "After 15 min".

9. wibbletron

wibbletron Member

A little late, but I think you might find "Wifi Status" helpful. It doesn't do anything at all if wifi is off, or on and connected. If wifi is on, but not connected then it appears in your notification bar to tell you, and tapping it turns wifi off.

Simple and useful, and free too!