Wifi - IP Address IssueGeneral

Last Updated:

1. jpzsports

jpzsports Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I try to connect my Eris to my wifi network, it always says Unsuccessful when trying to obtain an ip address. But if I enable to to use a static ip, it connects fine. Its annoying for me though, because if I'm out and want to connect to a different wifi, I have to disable the static ip. I'd like to get it so I don't have to use a static ip address at my house. Any ideas?

Does anyone know what ip address it tries to obtain when static isn't on? The two computers on my network are using .100 and .104. I figured that my phone would pick one not in use, but maybe it's set on trying to get one of those?

I've tried resetting my router...

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. nomunk

nomunk Well-Known Member

my phone does the same thing and I hate it, anyone have any ideas

3. jpzsports

anyone?

4. joetarin

joetarin Well-Known Member

When your phone is searching for an address it doesnt choose an IP. The IP address is handed to your device via DHCP from the router. This is all configured through the router. Are the addresses assigned to your home computers static or DHCP? I would check your router settings and make sure DHCP is turned on and you have enough addresses available to clients.

5. jpzsports

It's Enabled and it has 50 addresses available...

6. Blrfl

Blrfl Well-Known Member

If your DHCP server is set up to dish out addresses starting at .100 (very common default setting), it has no idea if you've stuck a computer on any of the addresses overlapping its pool. It may tell your phone to use .100 and still know the Ethernet address of your computer as the one to use for that IP.

Get your computers in IPs outside the pool or change the range of pool addresses and everything will play nicely.

--Mark

7. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

+1
    Alternatively, you just set those computers (.100 and .104) on DHCP ('automatically obtain' in your windows Network Settings), if they don't need the static IP for any reason.

Newer, good routers actually PAY ATTENTION to what IPs are being used as 'static' addresses. Many models do not, as Mark is pointing out.

A good guess is, indeed, that it's trying to give your phone the same IP address that something else has as static. Try setting up a different range for DHCP like .150-.200 or .50-.99.

It will also effectively accomplish the same thing as Mark's advice.

Good luck.

8. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Is it a linksys? Change the reservation time or something else and save. Mine is a Pos and always have to reset or mess with dhcp if more than two things are connected. Bout time to Chuck it since it won't do reservations anyway.

9. frickingphil

frickingphil Well-Known Member

it seems the Eris' wifi is a bit finicky.
    Used to have a Linksys router, Eris refused to even see the SSID.

That router died and I got myself an AirPort Express and it's been working golden since.