Wifi is disconnected when on standby, but it's on. Is this normal? possible battery drain?Support

Last Updated:

1. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

At home i've noticed that even though I have wifi on, it'll drain 15-20% of my battery over night (8 hours). When I turn the display on it'll show that there's no wifi connection available, but wifi is still enabled. After i turn the display on, it'll quickly connect to my wifi. Is this normal? How do i make it stay connected to my home wifi when the display is off/phone is in standby?

Advertisement
  2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

hrmmm...it is possible that the wifi radio is sleeping

do you have the app spare parts...it's the only way I know to check and change the wifi sleep policy.

if not grap it from the market.

open spare parts scroll to wifi sleep policy
    change to never

i am not sure if this is your issue...but when i am connected to wifi it stays connected forever ...until I disconnect or go out of range. I would think though, that if your wifi is sleeping, that it would not drain battery.

3. CA_SteelersFan

CA_SteelersFan Active Member

I get 40% battery drain overnight with WiFi on, 8% drain with it off: consistenly tested several times over the last 2 months. I've done most of the battery saving recommendations. I'm running stock Froyo. Is it my router? I have not seen other people post a bigger drain with WiFi on until now.

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

have you guys checked the sleep policy...my battery hardly drains at all when wifi is on and connected....hours of listening to pandora via bluetooth with 10-20% drain

5. CA_SteelersFan

CA_SteelersFan Active Member

My WiFi Sleep Policy is set to "After 15 minutes".

6. tracerit

yeah i checked Spare Parts and it's on Android Default. I'm going to try to turn wifi off tonight and see how it works. Last night I rebooted my phone before i slept to make sure it wasn't some rogue app that i opened, still had the same drain.

7. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Change to never or turn it off

8. tracerit

when i change it to Never, it'll change the other Spare Parts settings too :/ It doens't even stay on "Never" it just changes back to "Android Default" and also changes the Transition Animation Speed to "Slow" instead of "Normal".

EDIT: nm, i went to Android's actual Settings > Wireless > Wifi > Advanced > and changed it from here. It was set on "after 15 minutes" so i changed it to "Never". lets see how it does tonight