WiFi is turning on Automatically on GS5Support

Last Updated:

1. breeves312

breeves312 New Member

I have a Galaxy S5 through T-Mobile and just recently I started noticing that I will turn off my WiFi but when I go somewhere that I have connected to their WiFi (home, work, etc) my phone will turn my WiFi on automatically. I don't like this, I don't want it to pick when I have it on. Also, when it does it at work it keeps me from getting phone calls when the WiFi is on.

Please help, how to do I stop this insanity! :eek:

2. philayl

philayl Well-Known Member

Hi, try going to "Settings", "Wi-Fi", open the drop down menu (three dots in top right hand corner), select "Advanced", uncheck "Passpoint" and "Always allow scanning". Phil
  3. breeves312

breeves312 New Member

Thank you Phil, but that option is grayed out in my settings. This is so frustrating.
  4. philayl

In the same "Advanced" menu do you have "Keep WI-Fi on during sleep" set to Never
  5. breeves312

breeves312 New Member

Yes I have that option, but I have it set to Never. Still turning the wifi on automatically.
  6. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Well-Known Member

Do you have an option to turn off "Always allow scanning" ?

Also turn off "Smart network switch"

This is how my Verizon phone's WiFi options page looks. I turned off nearly everything.

Attached Files:

7. RyanSupertramp

RyanSupertramp Well-Known Member

What did the button say to the WiFi?

"Off" lol
  8. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Well-Known Member

You have fast fingers my friend, I started to post that, then noticed it had already been answered, and changed my post.
  9. breeves312

breeves312 New Member

Both are turned off. Still coming on automatically.
  10. philayl

I think you need to take a trip to the shop you got the phone from, or a Samsung service center, they should be able to sort it for you. Phil
  11. droid26

droid26 Well-Known Member

I am also having this wi-fi issue along with a laggy touch screen. Seemed to be happening right after my phone updated to the latest firmware.
  12. huggy110

huggy110 Member

Don't know if this helps, sprint has a connections optimizer that when its on it automatically connects to any wifi the phone is near
  13. kaanosh

kaanosh New Member

This is how I fixed the problem on my phone. Go to Tmobile app -> options
    Under wifi settings uncheck allow Tmobile app manage wifi connections...
  14. Holli Lancaster

Holli Lancaster New Member

This worked! Thank you