wifi issue

Last Updated:

1. gocats7

gocats7 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have only had my captivate for 24 hrs so I am a newbie. I am not however a newtwork newbie. When I attach to my wireless network at home the first time all works fine. The second time I can not get to the internet and what I have found is my wireless router thinks my DHCP address is different than my captivate has. For instance, my router will say the captivate was assigned 192.168.1.4 when the captivate says the IP address is 192.168.1.5. The subnet mask and gateway is the same but the router is sending my traffic (192.168.1.5) to 192.168.1.4 since thats what it thinks it is.

I used a program called wifi static to manually specify my address and I have yet to have an issue but this is a concern. It could be localized to my network but thought i would throw this out to see if anyone else has seen any similar issues.

Advertisement
  2. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

wasn't there something about specific routers having this issue with most phones?

3. gocats7

I'm not sure, I am using a Verizon MIFI card as I have unlimited usage on it while at home. That is possible.

4. Cuerbo

Cuerbo Well-Known Member

Post the type of router you have. Also, if you are using 2Wire (AT&T), you'll see several IPs for your phone but only one will be active. The router tends to take a couple of days to forget devices that have connected to it, cheesy to say the least. Why does your phone need a static IP? You have plenty of IP addresses available, I would understand if this is a server and you want to do something called IPForwarding (external traffic gets routed to a specific IP). To not confuse you too much, let the phone get its own IP and let us know how it goes. I think the issue here is you assigning a static IP.

5. gocats7

The type of router I have is a Verizon MiFi2200 made by Novatel. The issue is not me assigning a static IP. I didnt assign a static IP until I had dealt with the problem about 5 different times. I attempted this as an interm solution until I could determine what is going on.

What happens is if I connect my captivate to my mifi 2200 the first time after either the router or phone has been off I get the same IP on the phone that the router shows that it assigned me via DHCP. At some point I will detach for whatever reason or the phone detaches me from wireless due to inactivity. Then when I try to reattach the router will show in its DHCP lease table a different IP than I was initially assigned and my captivate will show a different IP than I had before or the router shows now. So the router at this point may show me as having a lease for 192.168.1.5 and the phone would show me as having for instance 192.168.1.4. Since the router is trying to sent the traffic to 192.168.1.5 when the captivate has 192.168.1.4 traffic cant come back to me.

This happened approximately 5 different times in the exact situation I described above. It could be an issue between the captivate and this router, I am hoping that is it. I have read other places about the captivate having subnet mask issues but that is not the case here.