• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi issues with Razr M

TravisK

Lurker
Nov 26, 2012
I just upgraded my wife's phone to the Razr M. I decided I wouldn't root it as Foxfi would give us the wifi we wanted without the hassle of rooting. Well we just got the phone yesterday and the wifi was working, then it updated to 4.0 or 4.1 and now I can't find any wifi app that will allow me to use wifi under my standard data (we have the unlimited data package that verizon no longer sells). We go through 25-30 gigs per billing cycle on this line.

Is there a good wifi solution without rooting the phone?
Also, I want the fastest wifi possible, which apps are best and do I need to root the phone in order to get maximum wifi speeds?

First off welcome to the forums! :D

I am confused, are you having issues with the built-in wifi feature?

Since i am confused and maybe someone in your device forum will have a better idea, i am moving the thread there :)

No, the wifi works, the phone just ask me to upgrade my package now with the new 4.0 or 4.1 (can't remember the number) that DLed to my phone and updated my OS.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem. I couldn't even get PDANet to work. There's a paid app called SVTP, but it's pretty pricey. The only reason I didn't go for it was there's no guarantee that Verizon won't disable it in the future. I tried the free version and it worked, but only for non secure sites. Luckily, rooting was very simple and now I can tether again.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem. I couldn't even get PDANet to work. There's a paid app called SVTP, but it's pretty pricey. The only reason I didn't go for it was there's no guarantee that Verizon won't disable it in the future. I tried the free version and it worked, but only for non secure sites. Luckily, rooting was very simple and now I can tether again.

I went with EasyTether for my usb tether and it is way faster than PDAnet was, but I need WiFi. We used the WiFi a ton!

Upvote 0
I do have a temporary fix now. We have a lot of WiFi devices in the house and I need WiFi like an addict needs their fix. You can use Easy Tether (which I love) hooked up to your computer and then enable your computer to share it's connection to a wireless router and ~wallah~ everything in the house now has WiFi access. I ran the most data I have ever run through that line last billing cycle, a whopping 92 Gigs! My speeds are phenomenal as well, but I am very close to a data center as well as a cell tower.

I guess I can't really complain. The TV, XBox, DS, Kendal, etc. all have WiFi now. I will test out the connection speeds if a non-root option ever comes out. In all reality the router broadcast a stronger signal for me anyway so I shouldn't complain. I get pretty good speeds and it only cost me $30.00 per month on the grandfathered data plan. This is more a home solution than anything else

Anyway, if anyone has any new information please post it.

Cheers
TK

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones