Wifi Keeps Auto ConnectingSupport

Last Updated:

1. jdta09

jdta09 Member

MY phone keeps connecting automatically to open wifi networks which then stops my 3G working. Is there any way to stop this?

I have read about a setting for Auto Connect on the Advanced Wifi screen, but I don't get this option on my unlocked UK phone, I've just got
    Network notification
    Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep
    Check for Internet service.

I've tried to 'Forget' the offending networks (mostly BT Openzone), but this doesn't help. There must be some way to tell it to connect only to known networks or when I manually request it.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. streetkilln

streetkilln Well-Known Member

just turn wifi off when not in use.
  3. jdta09

jdta09 Member

Some of the time, I want to connect to a wifi network, just not the one it auto connects to, so I need wifi on.
  4. bigslam123

bigslam123 Member

Download an app called AnyCut.

This will remove that annoying little Wifi Reminder.

How to remove WIFI Popup Notification:
    Open anycut.

Click 'new shortcut'

Click 'activity'

Click 'HiddenMenuWifiOffload'

use new home screen shortcut to turn it off
  5. jdta09

jdta09 Member

Thanks, but that doesn't help. When I go to work there are multiple wifi networks and it always connects to the wrong one and I want to prevent it from doing that. Also at home it frequently connects to an open network nearby rather than my home one.

There must be some way to say 'Connect to this network, never this one'
  6. Easilyamused

Easilyamused Well-Known Member

Hold down on the particular network in Wi-Fi settings until a popup box appears. Choose "Forget Network", and should remove it from the list and no longer connect to it automatically.

If you don't want to be notified when an open network is available, you don't need a third party app; simply uncheck "Network notification" under advanced settings.
  7. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member

The problem is the stupid Sprint Connections Optimizer. You'll need to go to setting, then under Wireless and network, click More settings, then scroll down to Mobile networks, then click Automatic Connections. Now un-click Sprint automatic connection. That will stop wifi from trying to automatically connect to a wifi network. There is one more step you can take after that, which will help with battery life. Go to >settings>Application manager> choose Running, then stop Sprint Optimizer.
    smith058 and Easilyamused like this.
  8. gowcaizer1978

gowcaizer1978 Well-Known Member

I have heard of this problem with the Verizon GS3, due to something Verizon added to the phone and wont let you remove.
  9. b2fast4u

b2fast4u New Member

Click on Settings
    Select Wi-Fi
    Uncheck the Notify Me When launching apps, notify me when Wi-Fi is available
    Click the button on the bottom of the phone to the left of the center push button.
    Click Advanced
    Uncheck the Auto-connect
    Done.
    allDroidnow likes this.
  10. jackm1249

jackm1249 Member

With WI-FI turned off I keep getting notification "Connecting to Wi-Fi" what I am doing freezes till it finishes. I check Wi-Fi it's still off. Minutes later it will do it again. Drives me nuts.
  11. cp1105

cp1105 New Member

Thanks so much for answering with the info about the SPRINT CONNECTIONS OPTIMIZER!!! This stupid service has been messing with my connections since I got the phone and I finally was able to disconnect this service (which I didn't even know was on there!). Thanks so much for the help!!!!!!
  12. dvdpal

dvdpal New Member

Thanks, It helped me too. On Samsung s3 go to settings, connections, more networks, mobile networks, connections optimizer, then uncheck.
  13. philayl

philayl Well-Known Member

Hi jdta09, you don't say which Android version you are on, if it is 4.3 go to "Settings", "WI-Fi", touch the menu button (on left of the home button, go to "Advanced", scroll down to "Scanning always available" and uncheck it, while there make sure "Network notification" is unchecked.
  14. raxyyyyyyy

raxyyyyyyy New Member

Hi. My Huawei G750 also has the same problem. The WiFi automatically turns on even if I do not need it. How do I prevent this from happening?