• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi keeps turning off

I got a similar problem, called the tech support, it just never worked although the router is connected with anything but S3. Finally I got a new version of router witch is a D-link 601, and it works fine. The one won't connect with is a D-link 542. Maybe you can just give it a try. Right now I am using 2 routers :(

Hope this of some help.

I did all the things mentioned in this boards, my old one just don't work.

Upvote 0
Signal strength shows -63 but loses connection and can't seem to pick up IP address. Laptops, phone, Tivos, have no trouble getting addresses from router DHCP.
I think this will be my last Samsung product ever. Very expensive and a lot of trouble.
Following advice in one of the forums I set up a static IP address in the Tab WiFi advanced settings. This works much better. Also, I was using a program called WiFi Fixer. In spite of the constant -63 to -79 signal strength the program was constantly disabling the connection and then renewing it again. I had the trigger for this set at -90 but somehow it was still resetting. I disabled the service and have been able to maintain a connection now. The WiFi signal bar will drop to just a dot even with a good signal. I think the WiFi radios in Samsung products must be very weak for this to happen. I heard they switched WiFi chip suppliers and have had trouble ever since. Did not have to change routers at all. I am using a Belkin a/b/g/n set to g.

Upvote 0
I've been having issues as well, but only with the ICS update. With Honeycomb, my wifi never dropped, had a low signal or anything else, but with ICS now it's dropping intermittently sometimes coming back on, or I have to turn it on. I changed my router to static channel and it still doesn't completely fix it.
You indicated you changed the router to static channel. That is not what I was referring to. You have to change from a DHCP IP address to a static IP address and this must be done, not from the router, but from the device you are trying to connect. As I recall it is in the advanced settings in WiFi on the tablet itself.

Upvote 0
ok, then how do I do this? Where do I get the info to change it in the tablet? Just changing the OS from Honeycomb to ICS shouldn't mean completely change wifi settings unless Samsung screwed up somewhere. This is what frustrates me, if the tablet worked fine for 6 months on Honeycomb, it should work just as well on ICS.

Upvote 0
ok, then how do I do this? Where do I get the info to change it in the tablet? Just changing the OS from Honeycomb to ICS shouldn't mean completely change wifi settings unless Samsung screwed up somewhere. This is what frustrates me, if the tablet worked fine for 6 months on Honeycomb, it should work just as well on ICS.
Daenas, if you'll be patient with me I will try to get back to you shortly on a more detailed way of doing this.
Right now I'm busy trying to get all my documents together for getting passports for wife and me. Didn't used to need them to visit Canada. Mondo Cane!

Upvote 0
No problem. I did call the help line and they showed me what to do, but unfortunately that didn't stop the wifi from dropping either. When using my BofA app to check my account my wifi dropped at least 5 times in less than 5 minutes... UGH....
Sorry that didn't help. It's still working fine on mine. What you are experiencing seems like what I had when I had the app WiFi Fixer active. It would constantly drop and try to reconnect. Once I stopped the fixer service and changed to static IP, everything is fine.

Upvote 0
After having a huge amount of issues with my wifi dropping-only at home, I decided to get a new router. I have a Netgear WNR 1000v3 and it worked fine with everything else except my tablet and after hours of googling I found information on issues w/ Netgear and Android. I bought me a d-link router and so far haven't had any issues w/ my wifi dropping on my tablet. I was ready to send my tablet back again and tell them to keep it this time. :)

Upvote 0
I had the same issue with some WiFi connections and uninstalling the AT&T Smart WiFi app fixed it for me. If you are not an AT&T customer, you may have a similar app. This may cause a shorter battery life, given that the Smart WiFi app is supposed to turn WiFi on only when there is a valid connection.
This worked for me, though I just disabled the smart wifi app, and it worked. Thanks!

Upvote 0
When I turn my Wifi on it will connect to my home network but right after the contection it will turn the Wifi off. I have tried to power off and on with nothing changing. I have changed the sleep setting to "Never". But, nothing seems to work... Any ideas?
The problem lies in some routers not your android phone. When the router has both 2.5 mhz and 5 mhz. Your Android phone got confused- it cannot decide which to use. This Android short coming need to be addressed soon as it is a stupid OS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones