• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi kills Bluetooth headset connection

rasobey

Pending Deletion
Apr 16, 2010
UK
All

I've uncovered what could be a serious problem with the Desire. It's only affected me in one way so far, but who knows what other problems there are that I haven't found.

I've noticed on several occasions that when listening to music via Bluetooth, my headphones disconnect for no apparent reason. However I've found a pattern now: if WiFi is turned on and I come within range of a /remembered/ hotspot, the WiFi connects and BOOM, disconnected from audio. I can reconnect straight away.

There is another poster here (sorry, can't remember your name or the thread you posted in) describing another problem with WiFi and Bluetooth working - or conflicting! - together so I don't think I'm the only person suffering.

Who else can reproduce it and how could I submit a bug report to HTC?

Hi rasobey,

I have a similar problem to yours: When I was listening to audio from my Desire to my BT stereo headset (Nokia BH500), I was losing sound for maybe two seconds, at intermittent intervals. Sometimes several times per minute.
After a day, I had discovered the following pattern:

- It only happens when wireless is on.
- It only happens when I am on the move (bike commuting mostly), presumably exiting and entering different WLANs.

My workaround is to disable Wireless when on the move, but a more permanent solution would be desirable (no pun intended...)

Upvote 0
I have same problem and thanks for highlighting what is causing it!

I used to have a htc magic and it worked perfectly when using wi-fi and bluetooth together. But have noticed with Desire sudden break ups and sound losses.

will turn off wi-fi and see if it makes any difference. But needs to be resolved so that you can listen to streamed audio on wi-fi via bluetooth

Upvote 0
Same problem with mine, it's only a minor inconvenience for me as I also just disable Wi-Fi when on my travels and it then works fine. Though yes a permanent fix would be better.

EDIT: Yes mine only cuts out when I'm on the move, I've used BT Speakers and Headphones in the house and it's absolutely fine probably because the phone is connected to my wi-fi but when out and about that is when it keeps cutting out when it constantly searches for new wi-fi connections, at least once wi-fi is turned off Bluetooth works fine as I regularly use it to listen to music.

Upvote 0
HTC have replied. Selective verbatim quote:

"Thank you for contacting us. In regards to bluetooth issue, I can help you with that. This could be a driver issue with the device but we cant say is abug in the OS. We will send this inquiry to the developes so they can investigate what is causing the bluetooth to drop."

Great that they've replied so quick and are looking into it.

Upvote 0
Ha!

I finally worked out this was what's been happening to me.
A quick search shows I'm not on my own.
I'm using an Altec Lansing 903 headset.
It pairs automatically just fine, whether within range of wireless or not.
But whenever I leave or enter a known wireless area, the pairing is dropped, and then reconnects, causing the music / podcast to stop.
I'm pretty sure that this is what everyone else is seeing too.
I wonder whether all Desires do this.... we've got a few in the office - I may get some colleagues to try this too.

I don't suppose anyone has found a fix?

James

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is an issue with the Desire or not but since it shares the Broadcom 4329 chip with the Nexus One it may be that Google are just remiss in updating their firmware drivers. Whenever WiFi is enabled it distorts your voice when using a bluetooth headset; I only know this because of complaints by numerous people I've called two of whom have confirmed that the issue is resolved when I disable WiFi.

Upvote 0
I have had a Samsung Galaxy S, for about 4 weeks now. The Wi-Fi was impressive with easy connection thro my N1 Belkin router. The other day I activated Blue Tooth between it and my PC after a considerable amount of trouble. Now I am unable to connect with Wi-Fi. What does activating Blue Tooth do to the phone?? My advice - dont!! My phone is going back to Samsung.

Upvote 0
This has been happening with my Bluetooth hands free in my car also (2008 Toyota Kluger, factory bluetooth stereo). If I'm on a hands free call and drive into the carpark at work or the carport at home, the bluetooth drops out. I now disable wifi while driving and it's no longer a problem, but it's annoying that I need to do that....

Upvote 0
My phone's been fine for about 2 months, but over the last couple of days I'm getting something similar to the above... but also different.

My wifi is *off*. I'm using bluetooth in the car to stream audio (my MP3s are on the phone). Twice now, it's dropped the audio to the telephone speaker although the bluetooth connection is still "live" and can be used to change tracks on the phone from the car steering wheel.

The first time, it was when I got in the car and was like that from the time it connected. I rebooted the phone and the problem resolved. Today, I received to text messages (I was stationary at the time!) with music playing. I moved to the SMS app and the sound dropped to the phone speaker.

Rather annoying, especially as a phone reboot takes a good couple of minutes and isn't convenient when driving.

Upvote 0
*Bump*

Has anyone found a solution to this?

I use Tasker to switch on Wifi when I am close to home. When I'm driving, and enter Tasker's configured area, bang, my bluetooth handsfree connection drops out. Really iritating, especially if I'm on a call!

I suspect it to be a problem with the radio firmware (I'm on 5.17.05.23), but I'm a bit reluctant to change this as, from what I've heard, it is not difficult to brick a phone when updating the radio.

I'd be very interested to know if other people experiencing this problem are all on the same radio. Or, if others can successfully use Wifi and BT simultaneously are all on a different radio version.

BTW, this used to happen when I was on stock Froyo+Sense, and continues unchanged since I rooted and installed CM7.1, so it ain't ROM related.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones