WiFi Name (SID) in Chinese PREVENTS WiFiSupport

Last Updated:

1. Vmusic

Vmusic Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    I have the Motorola XT720. I have the language set to English because....well that's what I speak.

I brought the phone to China because I'm living/teaching here.

A small coffee shop I frequent offers free WiFi... HOWEVER... I believe the WiFi name or SSID (What name appears when you try to connect), is Chinese characters.

When I take my PC to the coffee shop it shows up as:

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Without changing the name of the SSID, you're pretty much out of luck

3. Vmusic

Vmusic Member This Topic's Starter

:-(

Gee... it is sad that the MICROSOFT operating system can connect to WiFi in any language but the Android OS can NOT

How embarassing!!!!

4. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Try searching for "Chinese Keyboard" in the marketplace, and download a few to try out.

Once downloaded, add the Chinese Keyboard to the list of input methods. Then try using the Chinese keyboards to compose the SSID name to connect.

I believe it will connect, but you will need a lot of trial and error to get the right characters.

Good luck.

EDIT: I was using the vlingo keyboard, but switched back to the standard Google keyboard to test that you can create the characters above with the standard keyboard. When the virtual keyboard appears, press and hold the key until a list of international letters appear. For example - for the letter I, press and hold down i key, until the international I character appears.