WiFi not working now. HELP! :(Support

Last Updated:

1. phantomevo77

phantomevo77 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone need some help here.

Today, well last night, my WiFi on my Evo has been acting up, so I went and restarted modem and router, turned off WiFi on Evo, battery pull Evo, then as a last resort, I updated my router's firmware (since its been over a year since update =/) so I figured maybe that would solve something. Nope, can't even update Twitter, Facebook, get on internet. I did update on 6/28 and everything went smooth and my WiFi was working then. I have done nothing since and then all of a sudden, last night and today WiFi wont work.

I guess to explain this better, I can connect to my router, Evo shows that I'm connected with Good/Excellent connection and 55 mbps, but its like no internet connectivity, Facebook, Twitter, Internet, nothing. Like I've said up until last night everything was working until now.

Did the update on 6/28 just slowly kill my WiFi?

Advertisement
  2. h0odlam

h0odlam Well-Known Member

dunno for sure...

try forgeting the ssid and re-enter it again. if not then it may be a firewall issue, just open all the ports for your phone's IP

3. tardmobile

tardmobile Well-Known Member

Can it connect to other devices on the local network? Sounds more like a DNS issue than a WiFi connection issue since you're telling us it's showing a good connection.

4. phantomevo77

phantomevo77 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

There is no other devices listed on the local network on wifi.

To the first reply... That didn't work either, I tried that too. =/

5. Cru

Cru Well-Known Member

I encountered my first real problem after doing the new update. I can connect to my wireless network, but it will lose connection after some time without the moving the phone. It's sporadic though. Sometimes it will show it is connected and in order for it to work I have to use the WiFi toggle widget. Other times it will just be disconnected for no reason. Is there a setting I'm missing after the update?

6. sag7392

sag7392 Well-Known Member

Here's what I found. First let's start with the type of wireless router I'm using. It's a D-Link 655 N wireless router, set at B/G/N...also this is not a dual band router. Before the update, I had zero issues connecting my EVO to this router and accessing the internet. After the update, I experienced connection issues and it seemed like the connection once established, would drop sporadically. This only happen on my router and not a G router, which led me to start playing with my router settings.

The first thing I did, was make it a G only router. After changing the setting, I did not experience any of the previous issues whatsoever. So, I switched it back to B/G/N and the problem restarted. Switched back to G and haven't had one single problem. So my thought is, that the update some how doesn't play well with MY router when set to B/G/N. I didn't try the N only setting, because I have devices that only pick up G. But for what it's worth, I have no problems staying at G for now...maybe the 2.2 update will resolve this issue.

Hope this helps.

7. Cru

Cru Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have the trusty Linksys WRT54GL. I'll try setting to G only and I'm in mixed mode currently.

8. rjh

rjh New Member

Same error here after update. WIFI would connect, but no access to Internet. The problem here was WPA2 Personal. I changed it to WPA and everything worked fine. Hopefully they will fix this with the next update.

-Rich

9. Cru

Cru Well-Known Member

I changed to "G" only mode and made no difference. It will show the wireless icon after I toggle the WiFi widget and internet will work but it still times out after an undetermined amount of time, which seems different every incident.

I also tried changing from WPA2 to WPA and no dice, still loses connection. Basically when I am home I want my WiFi conencted at ALL times, this apparently isn't possible after the update, at least for me. Before the update I had 0 problems. Foolish of me to mess with perfection.

10. taytay

taytay New Member

after update my wifi sucks it doesn't work were it did before i can hardly connect and when i do it is slower than the 3g, it work like lightning before update?

11. Cru

Cru Well-Known Member

I ended up rooting my phone with the Unrevoked 3 method and now my wifi works perfectly and I get much better battery life. Go figure. Also 3G seems ot be much faster but I haven't tested this. I have not loaded any custom roms yet, just using the standard. I'm so glad I decided to root. Now I'm just trying to figure out which rom to use and how to load it properly.