1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

WiFi not working on my HTC Desire HDSupport

1. MelanieLHG

MelanieLHG New Member

Hello,

I am having problems connecting to WiFi.

I have had my mobile phone for nearly two years now and never had problems connecting to WiFi. Nothing has changed on my home router or my mobile. However I went to stay at a friends for a few days, tried to connect to their Wifi my phone could connect for a few minutes, drop, connect and into this loop. When I got home I found it was now doing the same thing here too and any of the local cafe Wifi's.

I have:
    1. Turned phone on and off and taken out battery.
    2. Forgotten all my WiFi connections then re-added my home one.
    3. Tried turning G3 off and just trying to use Wifi on its own.
    4. Deleted cache, etc from my browser.
    5. Set static IP using the IP address my phone picks up for the minute it connects to the router, putting in the gateway I got from my PC by doing ipconfig, and subnet as 255.255.255.0 and nothing in DNS.
    6. Made sure wifi sleep policy is set to off.

Yet I still have this problem connecting to any wifi.
    Yet I never had this problem before.
    Does anyone have any suggestions of anything else I can try?

Many Thanks
    Melanie

Advertisement
  2. ral

ral Well-Known Member

The WiFi antenna is located on the battery cover. You could remove it and see if the terminals need cleaning but I doubt this is the issue.

You can also do a factory reset. You would loose all your apps and data on the phone internal storage.
  3. MelanieLHG

MelanieLHG New Member

Thanks so much Ral.

I gave the antenna a quick wipe and it now seems to be working :)
    ral likes this.
  4. ral

ral Well-Known Member

I am so happy to hear that. Every time I have given advice on this issue, the problem has been more serious (broken hardware) and the advice given above, of course, does not work.

Finally, :party:

Thanks for posting feedback on the result. We really appreciate that.
  5. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Moderator

Welcome to Android Forums MelanieLHG. It's a pleasure to have you here and it's great that your issue was solved. Thanks for using these forums and I hope you will find more useful information here to help you get the most enjoyment from your phone. Have fun.
    D-U-R-X likes this.
  6. everything2012

everything2012 New Member

Helo!
    I have the same problem on my phone, HTC desire.
    Suddenly my phone can't acsess wifi anymore, not in the house or in the garage.
    I tryed reesett the wireless ruter and the acses point, no help.
    Tryed to reesett the phone completly. No help, stil get "not in range" (im sitting next to the w.router)

Is mye phone's wifi broken, and nothing to do with it?

my phone is almost 2 years old, so its strange that this just suddenly happennd.

Help!!
  7. davo26

davo26 Well-Known Member

have you tried rals suggestion above? ^^^^^^
  8. jayrammgee

jayrammgee New Member

hi i have the same sort of problem my wifi wont even turn on it just says turning on for 30 seconds then turns off, also my bluetooth doesnt even slide over to turn on plzzzzzzzz helllppppppppp!!! i am using htc desire hd, oh yeah my flex ribbons fine as volume buttons work fine

thanks in advance
  9. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Moderator

Hi jayrammgee. Welcome to these forums. With both wifi and bt giving you problems, I'd suggest a hard reset of your phone. Just power down the phone, pull the battery for a bit, replace and reboot. Sometimes a hard reset will clear such silly nagging problems. I hope it works for you. If not, please let us know. Best of luck and thanks for using these forums.
  10. MrPhooey

MrPhooey New Member

Hello everyone.

I am also having the -same- issue as the OP. I get an Error whenever I try to turn on my wireless or wireless hotspot.

I have a non-rooted, no custom-ROM, Unlocked, Telus coded HTC Desire HD updated to Android 2.3.5 w/ HTC Sense 3.0. I am currently on Rogers Wireless, but the problem started while I was with Telus. I've spoken with Telus techs already, and the ones I've spoken with are completely incompetent and I'm really not sure why they work in that department. (I know it's mean but I know for a fact that most, if not all, of the Telus agents are 3rd party contracted employees that work for a contact centre, and they only get, and use, information that is provided by Telus. Most of the information is useless for these kind of issues.)

I noticed my wireless acting strange after the update came out (yes I know it was a long time ago). I had gotten the error half a dozen times, but a soft reboot would always fix it.

I dropped my phone a couple times, didn't get an error. Then one day I just wasn't able to get my wireless to work at all. Tethering worked fine until I unlocked it and moved from Telus to Rogers.

I've been unable to use wireless connectivity for half a year now, and after switching to Rogers Wireless (Telus doesn't cover the area that I now live in), I lost the 5gb data plan that I had, and only have 1gb data per month. I am quite a power user, and I now really need wireless connectivity so that I don't have to worry about going over my data limit. Sad to say but Rogers has terribly expensive plans.

I have tried:
    -Cleaning battery cover contacts
    -Hard reset (removing battery & waiting a few minutes before turning back on)
    -Factory Reset (once, but now I'm afraid to lose all of my contacts that I can't seem to figure out how to back-up [if anyone has any advice on this off-topic, it would be nice to hear about that])
    -adding IP/Gateway configuration
    -Opening a ticket with HTC (I haven't had a reply from them in a week)
    -Google
    -Many android forum searches that lead to no actual answer, or answers that lead to custom ROMS

I don't know what else to try, I love this phone and I don't want to have to spend $600 for a new one. (I hate contracts, and I'm currently on a month-to-month with Rogers Wireless)

If one of you can solve this problem, I swear I will give you all dah loves. :3

-MrPhooey
  11. jpff

jpff New Member

Just joining in.... the Desire HD is not seeing wifi at all. Does not connect to home router (both laptops do) and also the WiFi analyser is not seeing any ifi.

Was OK in other house, and on an open wifi in a hotel 10 days ago, but nothing seen here. Tried cleaning antenae to no affect. Also done full restarts, in and out of safe mode.

Rather reluctant to do a factory reset as that loses books and games.

Is there any other possibility?
  12. jpff

jpff New Member

I FIXED IT!!

It seems that the HTC Desire HD (at least) cannot connect to a hidden SSID like my laptops can. I reconfigured the router to broadcast the name and now it connected and usable.

Another small step forward
  13. tufail

tufail New Member

Hello,

I am having problems connecting to WiFi.

I have had my mobile phone for nearly two years now and never had problems connecting to WiFi. Nothing has changed on my home router or my mobile. However I went to stay at a friends for a few days, tried to connect to their Wifi my phone could connect for a few minutes, drop, connect and into this loop. When I got home I found it was now doing the same thing here too and any of the local cafe Wifi's.

I have:
    1. Turned phone on and off and taken out battery.
    2. Forgotten all my WiFi connections then re-added my home one.
    3. Tried turning G3 off and just trying to use Wifi on its own.
    4. Deleted cache, etc from my browser.
    5. Set static IP using the IP address my phone picks up for the minute it connects to the router, putting in the gateway I got from my PC by doing ipconfig, and subnet as 255.255.255.0 and nothing in DNS.
    6. Made sure wifi sleep policy is set to off.

Yet I still have this problem connecting to any wifi.
    Yet I never had this problem before.
    Does anyone have any suggestions of anything else I can try?

14. Esther

Esther New Member

Tufail - try dialling *#*#526#*#* on the phone keypad. This worked for me.