WiFi Not WorkingGeneral

Last Updated:

1. r_sam

r_sam New Member This Topic's Starter

My Eris was doing fine with WiFi and 3G until the last few days (about a week and a half after purchase).

When I am at home my signal service isn't great so I usually switch to WiFi. I'll get the "WiFi Networks Available" toolbar notice, select my home network, but then nothing happens, and it doesn't connect. When my home network is listed under the WiFi setting menu, the radio signal Icon says it has solid signal strength, but still, after I hit "Connect" nothing happens. Thus, I get stuck using 3G when WiFi capabilities were one of my main attractions to the phone :S.

Again, the WiFi was fully functional (Outlook Exchange included) until recently.

Any Fixes?

ADDENDUM: Tried WiFi Fixer App: Unsuccessful.

Advertisement
  2. blues

blues New Member

I am expirencing the same problem as "R-sam" - on a Tattoo however.

Wifi on my home network worked fine until recently, but now the phone simply won

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I've only had my Eris for three days now, but, like you two report, wifi worked (the first day, the day I set it up) and then never since.

My guess, based on a similar problem I had with an old laptop on the same home wifi router, is that the device cannot hold/match the dynamic dns addresses. I tested this on the computer by assigning a fixed dns to the router and machine, and it worked. But that was not practical for very long given the number of machines here; had to switch back to dynamic.

I have no idea how to address this in a cell phone wifi setup.

This is quite disappointing, to say the least. Otherwise the Eris seems pretty nice.

4. shuless22

shuless22 New Member

My problem is similar. My Eris doesn't find my home network. When I add it manually, it says "not in range, remembered." But it finds other wireless networks; just not mine. I've never been able to find my home network with it. Yet my laptops & printers have no problem finding it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

5. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

tried a battery pull?

6. Frisco

I had the impression, from postings here on the subject of battery pulls, that the "end call/power off" technique was the same for the Eris as a battery pull is for other devices, such as the Blackberry, etc.

I've done the botton thing to reboot the Eris, to no avail with the wifi problem.

7. Caddyman

well it is a power cycle, but i think the battery pull has more umpf! just give it a shot

8. shuless22

shuless22 New Member

Battery pull? Is that just removing/re-inserting the battery?

9. Frisco

Well, heaven knows "umpf" is what we're all expecting when we invoke a problem solving technique on our devices.

I'll do the battery pull and report back my findings.

10. Caddyman

battery pulls for BB's started out because of the freezes BB's used to get (and still get) sometimes. if your froze you can't just power cycle with the menu. then they kinda evolved cause they were thought to clear out crap and settle things a bit.

for android, most of the time you are getting force closes or something but you can still get to your power off so batt pulls are thought to not be needed, but i still think they might clear some crap because of their violent nature.

when i say battery pull i mean your phone is on and awake and you pull the battery, not turning the phone off and then pulling it.

*i have done this a few times with no issues, i am not responsible for broken phones or deleted sd cards, et al*

11. Frisco

Yeah, I always did Blackberry battery pulls with the device on and up.. it often did a world of good for the issue at hand.

I just did the "live" battery pull with my Eris and the wifi connectivity problem went away, which is to say, it now works.

So, there most certainly is a difference between rebooting via the button technique and doing a battery pull in the Droid Eris. Thank you for that suggestion.

- Frisco

12. ck_csra

ck_csra Member

13. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

Mine had trouble connecting when I first entered the info. I rebooted, I re entered the info, turned wifi off and on, let it sit overnight. Damn wifi works flawlessly now. I leave the wifi on and leave the area, it switches to 3g, come back into range and it switches back to wifi automatically. I wish I knew what I did to make it work but I honestly have no clue.

14. Justintime1266

Justintime1266 New Member

I had the same issue until someone on this forum suggested to change the router authentication mode in your router wireless security to WPA2psk only. Once I did that... BINGO.. it connected to my router. Try it...

15. shuless22

shuless22 New Member

Thank you!!!

The battery pull didn't work for this. I'll keep it mind for future issues though.

I followed ck_csra's suggestion in previous thread to check the router settings. I had my Belkin router set to b, g, and n. Once I set it to g only, my Eris saw my SSID and I could connect.

Thanks again!