Wifi on during sleep?Support

1. eager27

eager27 Well-Known Member

I've set my N7 wifi to never be on whilst the unit is in sleep mode (in the advanced Wifi settings) . Despite this, the battery stats show the wifi is on most of the time whilst it is in sleep mode. It's not constant, but still a substantial amount of on-time.

Any thoughts as to why this might happen? Both my original N7 and the replacement one behave in the same way.

Advertisement
    :
  2. viffer800

viffer800 Well-Known Member

No idea why it happens in your case but try Auto Airplane Mode in addition to the Advanced Wi-Fi settings to see if that changes anything

<thinking out loud mode on>I appreciate the stats tell you one thing I also wondered for a second if wi-fi was really on. I have WiFi Toggle and when I wake my N7 the widget is green but the indicator at the top of the screen showing wi-fi signal strength takes a few seconds to go blue (if the colours make sense) ie It looks like wifi is on while asleep but it isn't really. <thinking out loud mode off>
    eager27 likes this.
  3. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

This doesn't really address your problem, but generally it's worse for your battery to have the Wifi turning on and off.

Also, the above is a good point; it's possible that the tablet is leaving the Wifi radio powered on, but puts it to sleep. A good test would be to put your tablet to sleep, wait a few minutes, then send yourself a Gmail and wait a few more minutes. Then wake the tablet up. If the email is there, then Wifi must have been on.
    eager27 likes this.
  4. eager27

eager27 Well-Known Member

good ideas - thanks.

@binaryvisions - why is it not good for the battery to turn wifi on and off? Is there a power drain on connection?
  5. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

It usually takes less battery for the wifi radio to just maintain a constant, but idle connection to the wireless network than it does to keep powering on the radio, searching for access points, then connecting... and then disconnecting again when you shut it off.

Of course, if you shut the screen off for long periods of time it's not as bad, but if the wifi radio is turning back on every 5 or 10 minutes it drains the battery.
    eager27 likes this.
  6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven What does this button do? Moderator