• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi only location puts me on the wrong continent.

Hi all, I've tried searching for this fault but none of the results seem to match my problem. Has anyone else seen this?
If I use any mapping or location apps with wifi on/mob data off/gps off, it shows me as located in Riyadh when I'm in the UK. It's a bit of a pain if I just want to check a map from the sofa, but the real issue I noted was that Lookout security located it there as well which means if the phone is knicked and I do the find my phone, it's useless. Interestingly, the only app that locates solidly, I'm guessing by cell tower, is the Cerberus security app (I installed this after binning Lookout.)

Phone: Galaxy S4 GT-i9506 (rooted)
Fault conditions: wifi on/mobile data off/GPS off
Recently upgraded from S2 which didn't have this issue.

Here's another discussion of the same issue: http://android.stackexchange.com/qu...-androids-database-for-a-better-triangulation
Worth a read but here's what I think is the most relevant information:
If your location is being incorrectly detected by a Google Maps or Latitude using Google's cell ID (cell tower) or WiFi (wireless network) location database, you can help provide updated info to correct Google's database using Google Maps for mobile. At this time, you cannot provide individual updates to Google's location databases, though they are being updated and improved constantly over time.

Open Google Maps on an Android 2.0+, Windows Mobile, or Symbian S60 phone and enable GPS. While Maps is simultaneously connected to a GPS satellite and a cell tower or WiFi router, you will be providing updated anonymous geographic data for the cell tower or WiFi router to which you're connected. Please note that this data is anonymous and may require a significant amount of data from you and other users before changes are made to Google's location database.

Android: You must enable Settings > Location & security > Use wireless networks and have previously given consent for anonymous location data collection. You can check if you've given consent by un-checking and re-checking the 'Use wireless networks' setting.

Upvote 0
I've found that Google maps can be a bit hit and miss with locations. Both on my phone and on my PC I can hit 'Map it' (in Outlook anyway, there is a similar menu on Android in the contacts section) for a contact and it can put me in the Atlantic just off the west coast of Africa (for a contact in Lancashire, N. England!). Most are correct to be fair but the ones that go wrong even have valid post codes. Search for the post code by itself and all is well but as part of the complete address and it all goes a bit Pete Tong ......

Dave

Upvote 0
Well, sod's law, it's not doing it any more at the moment! I went to try the above and couldn't reproduce the error before starting so that'll be that. If it reoccurs I'll go through the steps above and post back, I'm definitely not complaining though.
Thanks all for taking the time to advise, it's helped me get a handle on how location works in the process.

Upvote 0
I have/had a similar problem with a Mobii P785 tablet (not gsm, just wifi) with android 4.4.2.
After trying several options, I found out that it was the location services changing the time zone.
So here are my options/solutions that worked for me.

A) Use the GPS only option in locations services.
B) Disable locations services all together.

However, to have google maps provide the my correct location I have to set the location services on, and while the locatin is corrcet, the time zone changes!
Still I haven't found a more permanent solution, has every time I use google maps, I get the time zone error.

Upvote 0
Can't change the DNS at the router, no such option. And also I don't believe the issue is that simple, because, while with all the location option on, google maps and C:GEO get the right location, weather apps don't. Show location on town across the river 20 km to the west.
Tomorrow I will connect Bluetooth GPS to the tablet and redo all the locations. Let you know how that workout.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones