• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wifi Only Tablet Cell Standby battery drainage

vichenec

Lurker
Sep 6, 2012
Not much information can be found on the internet however as i see the issue is there on some of the phones and tablets.
I got chinese 7" tablet ics 4.04 (rooted) and noticed in the battery consumption that cell drainage eats up about 70% of the battery, this is ridiculous considering the tablet is wifi only, airplane mode does not help. This is my first android device, however i'm tech savvy.
I read about the trick in the calculator !+!+4636+!+! but it says error as soon as i press equals.
Please advice ! thanks

It's because the tablet manufacturer didn't take the phone dialer and related apps out of the OS and the phone app is constantly looking for cell service and finding none, which drains battery pretty quick.

You can disable the phone.apk and, if you can find it, telephony.apk and it should be fixed after a reboot. If they can't be disabled, you'll need to root and disable them manually.

Upvote 0
Hi, im sorry to bring this old thread, but couple days ago i bought cheap prestigio per5474bc tablet to use it as book reader and internet browser, i noticed that cell radio is using 43 percent of battery, but this tablet does not even have microphone, i tried few apps who disable cell radio, but it seems still active, could somebody explain step by step procedure of backuping my phone and renaming of phone.apk, as this is my first android device and im not very knowledgeable about whole thing still.

Upvote 0
Not much information can be found on the internet however as i see the issue is there on some of the phones and tablets.
I got chinese 7" tablet ics 4.04 (rooted) and noticed in the battery consumption that cell drainage eats up about 70% of the battery, this is ridiculous considering the tablet is wifi only, airplane mode does not help. This is my first android device, however i'm tech savvy.
I read about the trick in the calculator !+!+4636+!+! but it says error as soon as i press equals.
Please advice ! thanks

I found this page via a google search for this problem, it would have been helpful if you linked to the moved location.

I recently bought an android tablet made by a chinese company and was experiencing the same problem on Kitkat 4.4.2

I tried many things and came up with some ways to stop the mobile standby from draining the battery. At least it seems that it has stopped as the time on usage time has frozen and does not increase any more, implying to me that it has worked. I will still have to see as I use the tablet whether any changes have actually taken effect.

I rooted my device (after unrooting my device to access my bank app, it is still allowing me access to this folder, SO YOU MAY NOT NEED TO ROOT) and went on to a file explorer (i used es file explorer) and from the menu, accessed "/device".
I then used the search function to search for any apk starting with "tele". for me, it returned telephonyprovider.apk and teleservice.apk. I renamed these two apps, (you can probably use anything but i added on .bak to the end) and then rebooted the device. This solved it for me.

PLEASE NOTE: If you search tele, it also seems to list some .jar files, when i initially renamed as well. However, it caused a bug on my tablet to make google play services constantly crash and for an alert to constantly pop up, which i then fixed by uninstalling the updates for the app and reinstalling it via the play store, as well as renaming the .jar file back to its original form.

Some apps i downloaded from the play store could also be having effect, to be fair, i'm not sure as I dont usually use android devices. These are "toggle cell" and "data on off".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones