Wifi Only XOOM?

Last Updated:

1. Uber Schwarz

Uber Schwarz Well-Known Member

I hope they have one or no buy for me. I can't afford two individual data plans.

2. StreakTheQuad

StreakTheQuad Well-Known Member

if VZW offers a month-to-month option, I will likely buy contract-fee and cancel after the first month/activation. They did they for the Galaxy Tab, so there is a chance.

I too would prefer wifi only, but I'm not going to hold my breath
  3. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds

I hope there is a wi-fi only version because then I would most likely by it, root my evo then tether when ever I need it to.
  4. Filipino.Cowboy

Filipino.Cowboy Well-Known Member

I too hope am looking for the Wifi only version. I completely understand why they are pushing them with 3g/4g connectivity, but they have to realize a good chunk of the market doesn't want/need that. I love my iPad, but this thing looks great.
  5. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

Buying off contract is only an option if the cost isn't scary.

If it's $500 (or hopefully less) then I really have to compare it to the Adam and it's Qi screen. Stock Honeycomb the Adam UI which I'm not excited about. Will google be updating this or motorola (probably motorola)? Will the bootloader be unlocked like the Droid, or locked like the Droid X? Will the Adam's bootloader be unlocked?
  6. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I have no need to have a 3g or lte tablet . My cell phone can wirless teather and I'd use the table about 90% time at places with WiFi so paying an extra $40-$70 a month is just dumb in myopinion
  7. ckeegan

ckeegan Well-Known Member

i'm kind of getting sick of the wi-fi only people. seriously, there is absolutely nothing that will stop you from paying full retail. if you can't afford it, then don't buy it. you also have no reason to think that a data plan will affect the purchase price in any way. it certainly doesn't with the galaxy tab.

also, for the record, Verizon's tablet plan pricing starts at $20/month for 1gb, not $40-70.
  8. ChiTownJim

Relax , if someone doesn't want a a tablet with mobile data that's there prefrence . Even $20 a month is a waste for something that is pointless for me.
    All anyone is saying that if they released a wifi only version if would obviously be slightly cheaper .
    I apologize for my ignorance on Verizon pricing
  9. ckeegan

You're assuming a wi-fi only version would be cheaper, but honestly, that would be unlikely. It is more likely that regardless of launch price or data plan requirements, Verizon paid Moto for some form of exclusivity, thus lowering the price of the device for the consumer.

The only company that works opposite that logic is Apple, and they are communists. That is the only reason why the 3G version of the iPad is more expensive than the Wi-Fi only. Apple will not allow AT&T to subsidize the iPad, because Apple wants all the money for themselves.

Again, no matter how Xoom pricing is structured, anyone from any carrier will have the ability to pay an off contract price (assuming there are contract prices to begin with), and only use Wi-Fi.
  10. ChiTownJim

Good point
  11. ttdub

ttdub Active Member

Engadget says there will be a wifi only xoom but they said it will be out in april, and then proceeds to say that is one month before the 3g will be out... I thought it was going to be out in february!!!!!
  12. StreakTheQuad

13. ttdub

ttdub Active Member

Yep I read it but the whole point is that the 3g vversion isnt coming out untill may... This part was not speculation
  14. nickstanley

nickstanley Well-Known Member

Its referring to the worldwide releases. They are d ifferent thanthe states. At ces they said q1 which is jan-march.
  15. ttdub

ttdub Active Member

They took it one step further to say feb.
  16. gobluejd

gobluejd GOBLUE! VIP Member

I clearly remembering watching a Moto Demo and said to look for within the next 90 days. This was a Moto rep at CES. I will try and find.

Also I have heard Feb 14th.
  17. gobluejd

18. ttdub

ttdub Active Member

Yes but then either phandroid or engadget said feb.
  19. gobluejd

"within" 90 days.
  20. Teegunn

Teegunn Well-Known Member

It seriously looks like a great tablet. I need to preserve funds, but technology like this is something I probably can't keep from spending $ on. Hell I spent $500 to buy my Droid X after getting my HTC Incredible just 4 months earlier. Luckily my fiance now uses my Inc and loves it. Point is - I'm addicted to the newest and highest end android offerings. But it can be a costly habit.
  21. ttdub

ttdub Active Member

Ya I was just giving you a closer date that was said afyer the 90 day quote
  22. StreakTheQuad

I wonder if the wifi-only version will be 4G upgradeable as well. I don't think I would do this, but its good to know that the option is available
  23. ckeegan

There's a reason it would be called "Wi-Fi Only". They wouldn't design that version for any data other than Wi-Fi. Moto is designing the Verizon version specifically around the ability to upgrade to LTE.

I personally just don't understand why people wouldn't just get the 3G version, and only use Wi-Fi, since in all likelyhood, Verizon isn't going to require data contracts with purchase. Also, the cost difference of Wi-Fi only version is going to be slim, if there is a difference at all. Moto will have an increased cost for the Wi-Fi only version because they will have to market and sell it themselves, versus Verizon paying for the exclusivity of their version.
  24. ttdub

ttdub Active Member

I completely agree...though I will probably never use the 4g I like the option but wifi only really means wifi only... Prob. No 4g or 3g
  25. Homan13PSU

Homan13PSU Well-Known Member

Good to hear there will be a WiFi only version. Now just waiting to see the cost on this and the new iPad 2 when it releases so I can do a good comparison. I have a feeling though I may be purchasing a Xoom in the very near future.