Wifi or local usageSupport

Last Updated:

1. fenny

fenny New Member This Topic's Starter

May 4, 2010
    If you are within wifi range and make a text message, are you using your data plan or is the phone using wifi? I'm a little confused with this so far. This is my first data phone so I'm unsure of how it works completely.

Also, if you are not within a local tower as I work offshore but we have wifi. Can I use the wifi to send text messages and phonecalls? Software for phone calls? software for txt messages.

So far I have Handcent SMS for messaging.

2. eachna

eachna Active Member

Dec 11, 2009
    To answer your first question, cell phones send little "keep alive" messages to cell towers basically saying "Are you there" and the tower(s) in range respond with "Yes I am" over and over. You don't notice this other than knowing how many "bars" of service you have. Text messages are part of these keep alive messages.

Your phone most likely isn't using wifi to send text messages, but I don't know if it's the "data" part of the service or the "phone" part of the service. I do know your phone has to be in range of a cell tower to send a normal text message. You can check with your provider, they may have what's called a "SMS to email" gateway. That lets you send/recieve text messages through email (which you obviously can connect to over wifi).

You can use a program called "Sipdroid" to make calls over wifi. If you don't want to use Sipdroid, there are other apps that work in a similar way, and there's an app for talking to people over Skype (which may be called skoot or iskoot or something like that). For more information on phone calls over wifi, google "VOIP" for the basics (to understand how it works) and "Sipdroid" to set up the app.

If you have a Google Voice number you can send text messages over a wifi connection for free. You have to register to use Google Voice, it's an invite-based service offered by Google. There's an app for Google Voice in the marketplace, it allows you to send/recieve text messages.

You have to be prepared to read forums and do a bit of legwork to any of these services.