wifi problems with the droidSupport

Last Updated:

1. wily5150

wily5150 Member This Topic's Starter

I have a wireless connection at our house and I can not get the droid to run on it. I typed in the security key, nothing happened. I put the mac address in my router settings, still nothing. My network is showing up on the phone, but that's it. It will not connect. Anyone else having problems like this? Thanks

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

What type of connection is your home router using, and what type of security?

I have mine working perfectly fine, but you have to realize that the DROID supports Wireless-G, not Wireless-N....

3. wily5150

Well this router is a/g/n. It does'nt automatically use the right signal? I'm using wpa-2 security. I'm using macaddress filtering with my laptop and desktop. As in the only comps. that are allowed on my network are listed in the mac. filtering. Thanks for the reply.

4. johnlgalt

Just because the router is a/g/n doesn't mean it is actually *set* to provide all three.

Also, there is a different thread here - http://androidforums.com/how-tips/37851-poor-wireless-perf-dgl-4500-fixed.html - where I and another member discuss the virtue of having a router provide wireless G only to the DROID, versus a mix of G and N, and how performance (download) increases substantially.

I too was using MAC address filtering but I realized that it was too much of a PITA for me to allow others to use my network - I made my WPA2 key 64bit and decided that if you could hack that then you were good and I would not argue :p

Not sure of your router version, but have you checked if your Mac Address filter allows live changes or if it requires the router to reboot before changes take effect (My 4500 'allows' live changes - but the changes take so long to populate the list that forcing a restart is actually faster).

5. wily5150

I changed it from bgn to g. It still does not connect. I don't know. I'm almost done with it. Getting a bit pissed. Thanks for the imput

6. johnlgalt

I just checked my settings and I have it set to WPA or WPA2 - that might be the difference here, although IIRC DROID should support both....

7. ralph smith

ralph smith Member

yeah I have a G wireless router. I can hold the phone six inches from it and still get lousy reception. it does however get great connections at places like starbucks etc.

my wireless works fine for my notebook etc. just has problems with the droid.

in fact, I've been surprised that the Wifi hookup often seems slower than the 3G connect even with strong signals.

8. allanlaw

allanlaw Well-Known Member

SSID broadcasting?

9. PhoenixofMT

PhoenixofMT Member

Have you added your phone's MAC address to the allowed list?

10. wily5150

I finally got it working. I was entering the wrong password for my wireless setup. Thanks for all the imput

11. allanlaw

Sometimes it's the simplest thing. :eek:

12. ksalty

ksalty Member

I have a Sprint Cradlepoint PHS300. (I know, Sprint...but it's from work)

My Droid sees it just once every so often. As soon as I press connect, it goes back to 'Not in range, remembered' Even right next to it.

The router is wide open, broadcasting SSID

Any ideas?

13. boead

boead Member

Hello this is help desk, can I help you?

Ok relax, we’ll get it working for you. No I don’t think its because of a virus. No, its likely not a Trojan.

Ummm, no a Mac won’t make it better.

Ok, is there paper in the tray? There is? Ok.

Hummmm.

Is the printer turned on? Yeah, the power button - on the side. Is it turned on?

Glad to be of assistance, have a nice day.
    :cool:

14. tfleming23

tfleming23 Well-Known Member

Ok, is there any way for the droid to support Wireless-n. This answered my issue, as I have a wireless n router

15. allanlaw

No.