Wifi proxy?

Last Updated:

1. usernameinuse86

usernameinuse86 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all, I have been looking on how to set this up, but I can not find a way of doing it.

Do you chaps know where i can find it?

Advertisement
  2. Karolis

Karolis Well-Known Member

I don't think there's UI way of doing it.

When I was searching for info on how to do it with my G1, the best I could find was editing settings via ADB (and they reset after reboot).

3. usernameinuse86

Your joking? this is a basic setting lol, and its not accessible easily in android?!

oh dear, no work wifi then.

4. Karolis

Karolis Well-Known Member

5. usernameinuse86

Cheers for the link. It does not work on my HTC Desire though.

Man, the phone was awesome, but this is a big killer for me, how crap. I only have GPRS coverage in my work place as well. Are they looking into adding this basic functionality into Android 2.1?

Terrible.

6. nippy

nippy Member

Agree, its bonkers! Why no native proxy support?????

7. Br&_Aid

Br&_Aid New Member

Does anyone else find this monumentally stupid on Google's behalf? and how has this issue not been raised on any serious mobile blogs that i'm aware of? have people found a way of avoiding this issue that's so simple that they feel that it doesn't need to be publicly addressed? well i'm not a hacker and i don't have a degree in computer science so has anyone found a way to solve this issue, simply? Ideally i'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve me changing any code on my phone.

Hey Mod's do you know of a way perhaps???

8. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

9. usernameinuse86

Ludicrous. Not even in version 2.2, one of the several reasons that I will most likely be selling my Desire before i go travelling. I will wait until Google can be bothered to give there OS this basic function before going back to it. They most certainly wont beat Blackberry at Iphone at this rate, particularly because no one will want to use it for buisness.

10. mistahd33

mistahd33 Member

I have decided to write an artical about this (mistahd33 - Slashdot User) and send it to a good portion of leading tech publications to see if a little publicity will budge google on the topic. I encourage others to either do the same, or comment on my artical in support of it. Also I encourage people to check out the issue logged with google here: (Issue 1273 - android - IP Proxy Settings for Wifi Network - Project Hosting on Google Code) and click on the star at the topic of the artical to show google that you need this issue fixed.

11. solidsplint

solidsplint Member

12. aproxy

aproxy Member

It's a shame that Android doesn't have a proxy setting easily accessible and working. But thanks to good developers, there are at least a couple of Android applications that enables the use of a proxy server on Android.

I get proxy IP and port from this Android proxy list and tested with ASProxy and TransProxy and both applications works great. I downloaded both from internet, I don't know if they are at the Market.

13. lechuckcaptain

lechuckcaptain Member

Hey, I'm trying to cover the topic from the Developer point of view in my blog. Maybe you can find it useful:

The issue 1273

Starting from this collaboration now also Zirco browser support the proxy settings, NO ROOT required!

14. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Will the browser set a system wide proxy though? What about gmail?

I'm using proxy Droid atm. It auto enables my work profile when connected to my work domain. Bit unreliable at times though. I have to disable and re enable sometimes