• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi question & cell radio - feature request

mi_canuck

Android Expert
Jan 7, 2010
Anyone know if there is a way to have the Nexus automatically go to Edge when WiFi is enabled? Seems like that would be a smart way to try to maximise battery life...

Maybe it's already doing this, I don't know, since the WiFi symbol blocks the 'E' or '3G' symbol...

But if it doesn't - I propose it as a feature for a future update...

Is there a page that allows Nexus users to propose features? iPhone had this way back...

You can check by turning on Wifi, and the going under your settings, about phone, status, and network type.

On my Droid, when I turn on Wifi, my network type still remains as EVDO rev A (3G), so I doubt the Android OS is doing any sort of power management here.

Is there a way to manually enable edge instead of 3G? If so, then an app could probably be easily written to do what you're talking about.

If not, then it may require root access to change that property.

Upvote 0
Yeh, you can manually disable 3G by going to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks and then enabling/disabling the "Use only 2G networks" option.

S'what I do. Haven't looked for an app to do it though. I'm sure there's an app that allows you to have a shortcut to any phone settings, but I can't remember what it is.

I'm a mine of information today.

Upvote 0
yes, of course there is a way to manually enable Edge.... but what I'm saying is that it would be great if when on WiFi, that the cell part would automatically drop to Edge, as it's not being used for data (WiFi is taking over at that point), only voice, which doesn't require 3G's speed, EDGE handles voice just fine... In theory, should help battery life...

Upvote 0
Going slightly off-thread but I would also love a widget/option to turn off the radio easily without also removing the option to switch on Bluetooth (re. Airplane mode when connecting the Nexus dock to play music....I get loads of interference, even when turning off data synchronisation).

Upvote 0
Going slightly off-thread but I would also love a widget/option to turn off the radio easily without also removing the option to switch on Bluetooth (re. Airplane mode when connecting the Nexus dock to play music....I get loads of interference, even when turning off data synchronisation).

Why not use one of the switcher apps in market?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones