Wifi question/problem

Last Updated:

1. MoopsiePuffs

MoopsiePuffs New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, just got my Desire HD today. My only issue is that when i try to connect to my home wifi, it says its trying to connect, then says its authenticating with my belkin router. it then just says disconnected. are there any solutions to this problem? i can access the internet using 3g, i have a 750 mb data allowance per month, how much use can i get out of that?

Thanks guy,

Moops

Advertisement
  2. Eddie_E

Eddie_E Member

750mb is enough for general tasks... downloading games at 120mb may take some space!! I've been trying to find a solution for home wifi also.... mine connects to my work netgear, Ive connected a blackberry and a samsung to my home network (belkin) but my desire HD keeps saying the following 'Obtaining IP address' then disconnects. I've tried everything I can think of for the router i.e. upgraded firmware, changed security from WEP to WPA and ever removed security, tested all wireless channels with no success and the face everything else can connect to my belkin at home it has to be a phone issue and its compatibility to this type of router... I still haven't found a fix which is annoying because I'm out of range for 3g at home and only connect to GPRS or even worse EDGE, keep my updated if you come across with a fix for this and I shall do the same.

Thanks

Eddie

3. Eddie_E

Eddie_E Member

also what Belkin are you using... mine is the N1... loads of threads posted about this without a confirmed resolution apart from buy a new router :-(

4. Handy_man

Handy_man Member

Interesting i have a belkin 54G (older model then N) and it works perfectly fine with my DHD not sure as to what could be some of your problems.

I would suggest something with the types of wifi but i just looked up that the DHD does B, G and N wireless types.

Although i have never set this on my phone to any specific type so automatic? default (can't find a setting) suggest playing with router to accept B & G and see what works.

5. Eddie_E

Eddie_E Member

Yes it is weird and I have literally tried every setting possible and this is what I got back from HTC:

As you have mentioned, you are able to connect to other Wi-Fi networks without any problems. This means that the Wi-Fi component of your phone is working properly. When you acquired the ROM upgrade to Android 2.2, it also upgraded the firmware of the Wi-Fi component of your HTC Desire to enable the HTC Desire to connect to the latest Wi-Fi routers. If the firmware of your Belkin Router is outdated, you may need to contact the manufacturer of your router to confirm if they have a firmware upgrade that would enable it to connect to the HTC Desire. You may also factory reset your router and remove the security settings and try to connect your HTC Desire with it. There are no specific settings for Wi-Fi connectivity except for static IP.

I have contacted Belkin to reassure I have every updated component, but still a frustrating issue!!

6. Finnbjerke

Finnbjerke Member

HTC desire is not campatibel with Belkin wireless N1 router the Belkin support has told me. So its wireless and useless. HTC desireZ + android 2.2 worx nicely with other routers. So get a new router or another phoe or hope android 2.3 fixes the problem.

7. samturner159

samturner159 Member

Greetings I just registered to tell all of you with belkin router issues that I solved it very easily no messing about with static ips or anything. Have had a sensation xe for about a week and spent most of that time trying to get on my wifi. my router is about 4 years old so hope this will work for some of you.
    If your htc device has WPS(wi-fi protected setup) in the wireless settings enable it with the wireless on, now somewhere on the back of the router should be a small button with a padlock above it hold, that down for 5 seconds and the padlock symbol on the front will flash and then thats it you should be connected. no need to change any complicated settings. Hope this helps some of you guys out am in UK so dont know if it will be same in the US

D-U-R-X and El Presidente like this.
  8. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker Moderator

Good tip Sam - thanks!