Wifi questions with new Evo...

Last Updated:

1. AndroidMax

AndroidMax Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I bought my Evo on release day at Radioshack. HW002. My lady loved it so much, she wanted to dump her iPhone and get one. Well, after calling BestBuy every day (5 stores her locally), and getting on the list at every Radioshack we could find, we finally got her one from RS. It took what, 5, 6 weeks? Whew! So, hers is a HW003. It came with everything except Froyo, which we immediately updated to. I find one thing very hard to swallow though... Her wi-fi radio receive is about 10-15dB stronger than mine. Sitting side by side, I pick up two wifi ssid's. The strongest is at -85dBm. She pickes up 5-6 wifis, the same one I get at -85dBm, she receives at -70dBm. She also sees another ssid on the same channel, at -90dBm that I have never received.

I don't claim to be a wifi expert, but what do you think? Should I pester HTC for a warranty replacement?

Opinions welcome.

Advertisement
  2. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

are you able to pick up wifi?

can you log onto a wifi network and surf the internet?

if you answer yes to those questions, then no you will not get a replacement EVO under warranty.

3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

One thing for certain: people's experiences with 2.2 upgrade vary from perfect to tons of problems. Maybe your upgrade was less than stellar, and you're not seeing the better wifi connectivity that froyo boasts.

So... perhaps you should consider doing the factory reset and see if that gets you the SNR you're hoping for :) Check out the http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/141369-how-fix-froyo.html thread.

4. freeza

freeza Well-Known Member

Are you on FroYo too?

5. AndroidMax

AndroidMax Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yes, I can receive wi-fi and surf the internet. Yes, I am on Froyo. I think I'll take the phone to Sprint and let them do a test to see what they think. You never know.....

6. eyeballer

eyeballer Well-Known Member

That's probably the last thing I would do. Do the hard reset and see if that helps.