• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi "saved" but not connecting

crankerchick

Android Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2009
This has happened to me twice now trying to connect to a WiFi access point. My device sees the access point. I tap to connect, enter the key, and the status goes to "saved, secured with WEP" but it NEVER actually connects to the network (no WiFi icon on the notification bar and no data connectivity). If I long press on the network and tap "connect" it's the same thing. If I long press and type "forget" and do it all again, same thing still.

This isn't exclusive to my Galaxy Nexus, as it happens on my Xoom as well, on the same wireless networks so far. My WiFi "works" fine when I connect to some networks but has this problem I'm describing on some others. I know it could be a slew of things (like for example MAC address permissions with the router), but these are generally free wifi in businesses or just a friend's network whom I know doesn't do any MAC addresss permissions-type security. I think it has even done it once on an unsecured network.

I do usually restore all my wifi keys using TiBackup after a wipe, but I can't see how this would make any difference.

If you use custom roms, restoring wifi keys via TIBU is asking for trouble. I love wifi key recovery tho. You can use that to export your keys to your sdcard.

Does any wifi work for you (like home) or do they all fail?

Do you have an app that turns wifi on/off when you're near previously accessed wifi locations (like Y5 battery saver)? I have to turn that off when adding a wifi point until it connects or I'll get disconnected before it finishes. When I get it to work, I can turn Y5 back on.

Many public access points require you to "agree" to something when you first open your web browser. After that your internet apps will work.

Upvote 0
Interesting. I know restoring some system settings when changing ROMs is bad, I just didn't think the wifi access points would fall into that category. It's just loading the data only, but in any event, mayhaps that is part of the problem. I used to not store them, because google backs them up, but at some point with ROMs on my Droid, my google backup failed and I lost my passwords so I just started backing them up. I'll check out the app you mentioned instead.

I do use SettingProfiles to automagically turn my WiFi on at home, so I will also try disabling that the next time this happens. It is noteworthy, though, that I have had the same "problem" on my Xoom and that doesn't have any auto-wifi turn on/off apps on it.

Some networks I am able to connect to with no issue, but then sometimes I have this problem. When it happens, it is usually on my Xoom, then I pull out my phone to see if it is able to connect, only to find it has the same issue.

My experience with sites that require you to accept some terms on their web page has always been that your device shows you connected to the access point (the wifi icon appears in the notification bar) since you are indeed connected to the access point. The bars just don't change colors (because google services aren't connected) and you can't use the data network yet. Once you accept the terms then bars will change colors.

When my devices have this problem, I'm never even connecting to the access point. The settings don't show "connected" for that access point in the list, but instead reads, "saved, secured with WEP" so it's like I'm never even connecting to the access point. I never see "Obtaining IP address" or any of that.

Upvote 0
Is your Xoom running ICS?
Yes.

What kind of router do you have? I've seen plenty of issues in the past with certain routers just not playing nice. I wonder if the other places you have trouble run the same router/brand....
My router is the standard issue Verizon FiOS router. I have no problems with my router at home. I have no problems with some access points in the field and not with others.

If it is a problem with some routers in the field, I guess I'll know never know the fix since I don't usually have access to those routers to see what it is about them that my xoom doesn't like.

I think I'm going to try a wipe and not restore my WiFi passwords using TiBackup. I can test this at my friend's house the next time I go over.

Upvote 0
If you use custom roms, restoring wifi keys via TIBU is asking for trouble. I love wifi key recovery tho. You can use that to export your keys to your sdcard.

Does any wifi work for you (like home) or do they all fail?

I just got my Nexus and at the moment do not have service.
I thought I could use WiFi as I have on many other phones, including my Galaxy SII, Galaxy Fascinate and Captivate, iPone, etc. But I can not make a connection on either of two routers I have at home. At either high or low frequency. N or G. I have the Cisco e4200 on cable and a Verizon router on DSL. Neither router filters for MAC or anything else except the correct security. My Nexus "sees both routers clearly and shows strong signals until I try to connect, and then they do not get an IP and keep searching.

On other Sammys I either use or have used, as best I recall, there were two places on the phone to activate wifi and both had to be ON. One in setup and one accessed by exposing the icons at the top of the phone...wifi, BT, GPS, etc., but I find only one on the Nexus. Am I missing one? This phone is entirely stock (I think..I got it as NEW on eBay so I can't be 100% sure but the app all look stock google.

Any ideas would be appreciated. LOTS ;-)

If there is a long answer or one not of general interest, my email is [removed]

Upvote 0
There's only one setting under Settings> wifi. If its on - its on.
Is the frequency band set to AUTO?

Yes, the frequency is set to auto. Any other hints? (fingers crossed) ;-)

I saw a couple of posts whee users said they had good luck getting wifi by setting the IP of the phone. I do not see anyway to do that. So am I just stuck with a bad design? I did get wifi when I had a verizon connection. And I not that many apps say they need a DATA connection... does that mean they do not work without data from Verizon? I have not noticed that other Sammys said that. But then they worked straight away, so I was not looking for hints on how to salve a problem.

Upvote 0
Yes, the frequency is set to auto. Any other hints? (fingers crossed) ;-)

I saw a couple of posts whee users said they had good luck getting wifi by setting the IP of the phone. I do not see anyway to do that. So am I just stuck with a bad design? I did get wifi when I had a verizon connection. And I not that many apps say they need a DATA connection... does that mean they do not work without data from Verizon? I have not noticed that other Sammys said that. But then they worked straight away, so I was not looking for hints on how to salve a problem.

some general troubleshooting things try...

First do you have security set-up on the wifi?
if so can you turn it off for testing?
Have you tried connecting to other networks? Mcdonalds,starbucks, a friends wifi?

Have you tried rebooting the router?
have tried "forgetting" the Wifi and re-enterning the info?

Upvote 0
some general troubleshooting things try...

First do you have security set-up on the wifi?
if so can you turn it off for testing?
Have you tried connecting to other networks? Mcdonalds,starbucks, a friends wifi?

Have you tried rebooting the router?
have tried "forgetting" the Wifi and re-enterning the info?

I followed your check list and connected at a friends, so investigated my router further. Found that somehow it had gotten set to reject unlisted MAC addresses. No idea when or how that happened. Maybe it was part of the auto setup(?) or maybe I accidentally set it while looking around in the settings. In any case, the router was the culprit, not the phone?

Fixed that and now am running just fine. :dancing:

Curious: Is there a way to set the phone's IP in the phone?

Thanks for the suggestions... The help at this is great and
much appreciated. :shakehands:

Upvote 0
I followed your check list and connected at a friends, so investigated my router further. Found that somehow it had gotten set to reject unlisted MAC addresses. No idea when or how that happened. Maybe it was part of the auto setup(?) or maybe I accidentally set it while looking around in the settings. In any case, the router was the culprit, not the phone?

Fixed that and now am running just fine. :dancing:

Curious: Is there a way to set the phone's IP in the phone?

Thanks for the suggestions... The help at this is great and
much appreciated. :shakehands:

GOOGLE saves the day!

Go to settings->wireless and networks->wifi settings. Then long press on your network and select "modify network" then where you see "IP settings" change from DHCP to Static, and then you're set! Hope this helped :)

this is off a xoom forum, it looks like we have to also check "advanced settings" at the bottom.

I didn't actually set mine, but I got to the screen so it should work!

Upvote 0
I recently traveled to Bangkok. As soon as I reached the airport, there's free wifi and my Nexus 5 phone connected automatically, but then I could not connect to the internet.. When I reached the hotel, the same thing happened. The phone connected to wifi immediately and saved the address, but then I could not connect to the internet.. The thing here is, the phone did not prompt the password for the wifi (in both cases). The wifi at the airport and the hotel should prompt password but immediately the phone connected and saved without asking for the password. I've tried all I could think off - forget password, try again and again, wiped all saved connections, modify the setting.. Did not work.. In case this happens again, what should I do?

Upvote 0
This has happened to me twice now trying to connect to a WiFi access point. My device sees the access point. I tap to connect, enter the key, and the status goes to "saved, secured with WEP" but it NEVER actually connects to the network (no WiFi icon on the notification bar and no data connectivity). If I long press on the network and tap "connect" it's the same thing. If I long press and type "forget" and do it all again, same thing still.

Here is what fixed it on my Android/Cyanogen machine. It is related to Google Locations:
On the main screen, swipe down to select the Gear icon (Settings)
Select Wifi and make sure it is On
Select the 3 vertical dots on top right
Select Advanced
Turn OFF "Scanning Always Available"

This resolved the problem for me

Upvote 0
I recently traveled to Bangkok. As soon as I reached the airport, there's free wifi and my Nexus 5 phone connected automatically, but then I could not connect to the internet.. When I reached the hotel, the same thing happened. The phone connected to wifi immediately and saved the address, but then I could not connect to the internet.. The thing here is, the phone did not prompt the password for the wifi (in both cases). The wifi at the airport and the hotel should prompt password but immediately the phone connected and saved without asking for the password. I've tried all I could think off - forget password, try again and again, wiped all saved connections, modify the setting.. Did not work.. In case this happens again, what should I do?

I bet your date and time settings were not correct (since you were travelling). This can mess up wifi connections.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones