Wifi ScanningSupport

1. jpal723

jpal723 Member

I have no problems connecting to wifi at home. But, when I travel outside my home I want the phone to automatically switch to back to cell tower WITHOUT constantly scanning and thus killing my battery. I know this is possible with the BB Torch. Is there an app for this?

Advertisement
    :
  2. zflamewing

zflamewing Well-Known Member

I haven't used it but as I understand it tasker can change various settings and toggles based off several factors one of which is GPS locations. So you could set it to disable Wi-Fi when not at the house or places you know you like to use Wi-Fi. I'd do a search for tasker on here to learn more. It's not a free app but from what I understand it's pretty powerful and might be what you're looking for. This is just my take for what it's worth.
    jpal723 likes this.
  3. mac1679

mac1679 Well-Known Member

I have both but you can use either one to complete the task. Tasker is a little more advanced/complicated to use, but there is tons of forum help available. Locale is easier to use if you want to keep it simple. They are both paid apps and a bit pricey, but they are effective and you will probably end up using it for more than just your current situation.
  4. chall80

chall80 Well-Known Member

I'm just cheap I guess...when i walk out the door at home, I pull down the quick settings and turn off wi-fi. I know that its not automated, but I'm always aware of where I am, and what data I should be using...2 second free fix....
  5. woodsytattooman

woodsytattooman Well-Known Member

I just use the toggle widget that came with beautiful widgets.You can also use the power widget that comes stock on the phone.1 click :)