1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

wifi shows connected but no connectionSupport

1. dtmansp

dtmansp New Member

HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon Wireless, bought 12/29/11 I have a netgear mr814 wireless router (802.11b I believe, it's old). When I connect to wifi my phone shows full signal,(settings/wireless & networks/wi-fi settings/my ssid) brings up; connection status-connected, speed-11Mbps, Channel-3, Signal Strength-excellent, Security-WEP, and shows my MAC address and IP address. My router shows the phone as one of the connected devices, I do have the latest firmware updates for the router installed. Tells me the radio is working, the router is working, however, every page/app I use says I have no connection. I use wi-fi at work, (N I believe), everything works like a dream. NO site has solutions for this that I've found. Next step is to upgrade router?... It should be backwords compatible though right?...

Advertisement
    :
  2. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

Turn your security off on the router and see if you can connect then to eliminate any possible password issues. If you can connect then you're mistyping the password. If you still can't connect then try resetting the router to factory settings (unplugging and holding down the power button is the typical method). Keep in mind that if you've changed any settings on the router that you'll probably have to change all default passwords on all things that connect to the router. If a reset of the router doesn't work then there's probably some compatibility issues with your Thunderbolt and your router.

Also this link may offer some more troubleshooting steps. http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/107/p/13868/61694.aspx

Oh and it's "backwards" not "backwords" :p
  3. dtmansp

dtmansp New Member

So I missed one letter...:)

The problem I'm having is not connecting to the router, its getting data through it. My phone shows a great connection to the router, the router provides me with an ip address, and I know the password is correct.

I tried all that before I did checked the firmware updates. As part of the firmware up date I reset the router to factory defaults as well and set the whole thing up again. I also looked into my phone info area and it does say it's b/g/n. I plan on finding another wifi hotspot and testing the phone there to make sure I can still connect to a wifi signal. If not, its off to verizon to talk to them about a new phone, if I can, I finally have a reason to talk my wife into letting me get a new router :D

Thanks for the link, I will take a look there right now and repost when I find something that resolves the issue.

Actually that link is where I started, I've read over it a few times, got me started with reseting and updating router, but not help here. I really think it's just an old router...
  4. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

If your thunderbolt works with the Wifi at work then it's more than likely the modem, especially when looking at the posts below. Who is your ISP? Do they have a wireless gateway that they can offer as part of their service? Most ISPs now tend to offer wireless as part of their service. I'm personally fond of just buying my own equipment. Just tell the wife that you're buying the equipment because it will save you $XX per month on equipment rental.

Can't connect Droid to MR814 - NETGEAR Forums

Unable to connect wirelessely to my 802.11b netgear MR814 wifi routerfrom windows xp laptop..
  5. dtmansp

dtmansp New Member

Absolutely was the router...guess 8 yr old tech just isn't what it used to be. Thanks for all the help here guys, this post was all done through my TB. For anyone else having problems with the phone cycling through connecting,and disconnecting I had that issue for a while too, it was a password issue but with the modem not my TB.