1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

WiFi sniffer\locator app?

1. Dick08

Dick08 Member

Hi guys, does anyone know of a good robust Wifi sniffer app?

BTW, this is my first post as I just got the Droid. I'm a long time Verizon subscriber and have been sitting around twiddling my thumbs waiting for an Android phone since it's inception. I'm in heaven right now and stoked that I found this forum right off the bat!

Advertisement
  2. Dick08

Dick08 Member

Well of course right after I post this I run across "Wifi Scanner". That seems to do the trick! Anyone else play with it or have a better suggestion?
  3. Teezy

Teezy Well-Known Member

i like wefi
  4. Dick08

Dick08 Member

Just took a look at WeFi. That's a pretty cool app for sure!

Not exactly what I was looking for though. I just installed "WiFi Analyzer" and so far am loving that! Has lots of info and even a pretty 'graph' mode.
  5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

what is the point of this over just using hte built in wireless connectivity? That finds networks too
  6. Dick08

Dick08 Member

Oh yeah I suppose an explanation would help you.

I do a lot of home networking, so it's nice to have a little built in wifi sniffer to help set up access points. With something like Wifi analyzer I can walk around and see where the signal is strongest to weakest and where signals overlap.

The built in app simply states that there 'are' some signals around.
  7. Google

Google New Member

Get Wifi Analyzer. Perfect for your needs. I also recommend the app Wardrive. Obviously that's not just for analyzing signals in your house though :D
  8. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Thanks! :)
  9. Dick08

Dick08 Member

Yes so far Wifi Analyzer FTW!

I understand Wardriving (not what I'm looking for though ;)) but does Wardrive let you plot locations into your Google Maps or something?
  10. rjpear

rjpear Member

I know you can Export the KML files but Haven't figured out if I can import them into Google Maps on the Device... or just Google Earth on the PC..or what.. But WarDrive is a lovely program..
  11. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Well-Known Member

Any good paid ones as I won't use an ad supported app?
  12. fightingirish

fightingirish Well-Known Member

WiFi Finder is a pretty good app that scans for networks and shows where the nearest open hotspots are on a map. It does have the occasional ad that can be clicked off, but it's a pretty nice app.