WiFi speed question

Last Updated:

1. Paul1201

Paul1201 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have noticed that my iPod Touch is twice as fast for downloads and four times faster for upload than my Droid. (I used the speedtest.net app for both)

I have already used WiFi Analyzer to find the best availabe channel, updated the firmware on my Linksys WAP54G access point, and tried turning the WPA security off. I also tried "forgetting" my network and configured it manually by entering the network name and password through the Add WiFi Network tool. I even switched my access point from wireless G to B with no improvement.

Originally the iPod Touch was four times faster for downloads too but by changing the WiFi channel after using WiFi Analyzer I doubled my Droid's download speed. That app is really amazing.

On my Droid I get 4.4 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. On the iPod Touch I get 8.5 and 4.2. My laptop gets 13.7 and 4.2 and I have Comcast cable internet.

Is there anything else I can try to change to improve the WiFi speed of my Doid?

Advertisement
  2. Paul1201

My wife got home a bit ago so I tested her Droid and got 5.2 down and 1.1 up. I guess this means it's not my Droid but something to do with how the wifi is setup or the hardware.

3. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your setup. The Droid just doesn't seem to be optimized very well for WiFi. I noticed that almost immediately when I got it. I usually have no reason to switch to WiFi from 3G because the real world different is negligible unless I'm downloading something large or want to watch a lot of YouTube in HQ.

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Yea ... the DROID's WiFi just isn't there yet. I have to believe as future firmware versions roll in, that the WiFi will get better.

5. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Yea Joe I bet you really notice it with all the pr0n you watch.

6. Paul1201

So I guess the hardware problem is the Droid then.

Thank you for your input gentlemen.

7. Droidboy60

Droidboy60 Member

I am getting slightly better speeds with my Droid over my IPod Touch. My Droid is 2100 kbps down and 450 kbps up. the Ipod is about one hundred slower both ways. Maybe my wifi is slower than it should be.

8. rvonder

rvonder Well-Known Member

It almost seems like there are some kind of bandwudth caps defined in the phone, because my Droid is getting 6500kb down but only 1000kb up (using the SpeedTest app). My FiOS service is a true 25mb both up and down, and I see a solid 10mb up or down when connecting via wifi with my laptop... so something definitely has room for improvement.

9. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

Sorry guys but its not a Droid hardware issue. I have gotten some 10-12 Mbps download results on my Droid using the speedtest app. I have Cablevisions Optimum Online and I get pretty much the same results back to back on my PS3 and on my laptop (when it was working). So there is no bandwidth cap on the Droid.

10. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I am getting 7 down and 1 up at the moment. I have seen it as high as 9 on the download. I am also on 25mb fios (symmetrical)...

11. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Using Speedtest, the best I've got were 7.64 down and 2.54 up, which were the exact speeds my laptop was getting (7.3, 2.8 respectively). Comcast Internet, running Linksys WR.

12. geezman

geezman Well-Known Member

I'm getting 10-11 down and 1.1 up using a D-Link DIR-655 and using WPA2.

13. Paul1201

What network hardware are you using? I am using a Linksys cable modem connected to a Linksys WAP.

14. KeithG

KeithG Well-Known Member

Droid HW is adequate over wifi.

Code (Text):
    2. ftp> put XP_PRO_SP3.iso
    3. local: XP_PRO_SP3.iso remote: XP_PRO_SP3.iso
    4. 200 PORT command successful
    5. 150 Binary data connection
    6. 226 transfer complete
    7. 625680384 bytes sent in 296.44 secs (2061.2 kB/s)
    8. ftp> get XP_PRO_SP3.iso
    9. local: XP_PRO_SP3.iso remote: XP_PRO_SP3.iso
    10. 200 PORT command successful
    11. 150 Binary data connection... sending file /sdcard/tmp/XP_PRO_SP3.iso
    12. 226 transfer complete
    13. 625680384 bytes received in 271.36 secs (2251.7 kB/s)
    Transfer speed is rated in K-bytes per second
    8 bits per byte....

Download speed = 16.5 Mb/s (megabits / sec)
    Upload speed = 18.0 Mb/s (megabits / sec)

No kittens were harmed during this test...

... ok maybe 1 kitten.

15. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

I've noticed it is slower as well. The max speeds I've gotten over wifi on my Droid is 5 down and 1 up. On my laptop I'm always around 10 down and 2 up. The ping is always slower as well. Phone is around 80ms and laptop is 40ms.

16. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

I have the cable modem that Cablevision supplied us and a Linksys WRT110 router.

17. Paul1201

Is anyone else seeing this type of speed on their Droid?

I checked at work today and it was 5 Mbps down and 1.1 Mbps up. So that is now 2 Droids and 2 networks and the top speeds are roughly the same. Okay my work network is not blazingly fast but it is not a snail either.

If someone can tell why I am not seeing the same speeds as I get on my iPod Touch I would be very happy to hear it. (I should have tried the iPod Touch at work too!!!)

18. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member

when i go to speedtest.net site, it tells me that i need flash. i see there is an iphone app. how do you get the droid to run this?

19. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

There's an android app in the market. Search for speedtest.net. It's made by ookla.

20. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member

Thanks! I get 6900 down and 1200 up, connecting thru 15Mbps Fios.

21. KeithG

KeithG Well-Known Member

Your not testing your network. Your testing your internet connection, and every path to the server it selects for your test.

I grudgingly installed the app, and tested. I got 6600 kb/s down, and 1100 kb/s up.

I then used the flash applet on my desktop and got 9.18 mb/s down and 0.98 mb/s up

These are apples to oranges comparisons as the applications to do the test are different .. as is the iphone app is different from the android app .. etc.

The ftp test above is done via the local lan with nothing in between but the access point (WPA2 encryption @ 54mb/s). The access point is a Linksys WRT54G flashed with DDWRT using a broadcom SOC @ 200mhz. That test (which I transferred 1.2 GB of data) is the closest (and easiest) test I could show the maximum throughput of the phone connected to this AP. A more robust AP might allow the phone to go faster, but I can't tell as I don't have any others on my test bench atm. ... I could be at the maximum switching speed for the router using the wireless @ those speeds mentioned above. I'm not sure this is likely but ... @ nearly 20mb/s that is quite respectable for an embedded processor w/encryption.

I digress, back to speedtest.net. The app itself is saturating my uplink. It is not saturating my downlink on the phone. There are a number of reasons for this.

1) different server
    2) I'm saturating the uplink of the test server chosen (unlikely, but still possible)
    3) The other ppl testing from the same server with me included are saturating the uplink of the testing server (more likely)
    4) the test server has a max uplink per connection (more likely)
    5) the test server has a max uplink @ the border router with its peering point (possible)
    6) The logging the app is doing to Log.i() is messing with the results as the method call is rather expensive. (possible) << checked via logcat

Why are you seeing disparate results between multiple devices connected to your local network? I haven't a clue. But you may want to remove all the other variables first ... to see really if your device is having issues.

Is your phone having issues negotiating speed on the wireless segment? menu > settings > wireless & networks > Wifi-settings > (select your connected wifi network under the wifi-networks heading) .. what does it say for speed & signal strength?

You should also turn off any other wifi devices when testing.

And yes... I stayed @ a holiday inn express.

22. Paul1201

Let me guess: your hobbies are rocket science and brain surgery. :)

I would not even know how to perform an internal network test like you just explained. Thank you for your time and effort to explain this better to me.

My phone shows a connection speed of 54 Mbps and good signal strength.

23. MicroNix

MicroNix Well-Known Member

This is all funny because I have the same speedtest.net app on both my iTouch and Droid going to the same hosted servers and the Droid is higher (close to my desktop) in terms of speed.

iTouch: 465 up 6557 down

Droid: 561 up 7305 down

So I'm not seeing anything wrong with the Droid's WIFI performance here...

24. scutzi128

scutzi128 Well-Known Member

I think it really matters on the AP. Some APs don't seem to like the Droid. My main router gives me a good fast connection where as the ap on my network is extremly slow when I have my droid connected to it.

25. SamMax

SamMax Well-Known Member

I have a 30 MB Comcast connection, Droid maxes out at 5MB my brothers iPhone peggs the test needle at 10MB what's up with that?