Wifi Static IP problemSupport

Last Updated: 2011-11-04 16:43:55
  1. jpcolli

jpcolli New Member

I have a fairly simple problem that may be more a router issue, but I'm not sure.

I have all the devices on my home network set to static IPs, my Incredible included. Almost daily, something will cause my phone to lose internet connectivity. I look on my router, and the static IP for my Incredible has magically changed. For example, I have it set to 127.168.0.11. When it stops working, I check the router settings and for some reason it shows 55.0.0.111.

I have noticed that the droid wifi problems sometimes start when I turn on a laptop or xbox and it attempts to connect to the network. Anyways, just curious if anyone else has seen this happen with their phone. The router is a D-Link 624.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

Static ips are set on the device, router has no control of them.(device tells router what address it's using, regardless of router's setup, if an incompatible address is being used, you will have no network access) Do you have another router or switch in your setup?
    Is your static ip setting disappearing from the phone's wifi settings?
    First thing I do notice is that you are using an uncommon static ip for it being a private network. I'd try changing your router and respective devices out of the 127.*.*.* range. (use the 192.168.*.* or 10.10.*.* range) Also double check to make sure you don't have the same static ips assigned to the phone and another device.
    Or i'd also recommend using dhcp except for the devices that have a need for static because of port forwarding or dmz.
  3. jpcolli

jpcolli New Member

My fault, that IP was a typo. I was doing my taxes at the same time and have too many numbers on the brain :D. I'm using the standard 192.x.x.x.

I have limited networking knowledge was not aware static IPs were set on the devices and not the router. It seemed like whenever I set static ips on the router, the devices obeyed. Because I connect to multiple wifi networks at home, work, and around campus, I was under the impression that setting a static IP manually on my phone would cause problems on those larger networks.
  4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

If you did not set up a static ip, then you are using dhcp, also called a dynamic ip (the router is assigning the ips as it sees fit, will generally assign the same ip to the same device on connection, but not always). Therefore it sounds as though your router is having problems assigning the ips. In which case setting up a static ip on your phone and other devices may help. Or I'd try hard resetting the router.
  5. smurfOnE

smurfOnE Well-Known Member

Not entirely.

Some routers have the ability to use DHCP to automatically assign a particular device the same IP every time. This has the effect of using static IPs, and it's the router that controls the IP assignment in a centralized manner. It's not clear if the OP has a router that does this, but the fact that this was his intuition suggests the router may have that capability. And if so, it's a good feature to use on an Android phone, because the stock Android utilities handle static IPs very poorly.

So ideally one would associate an IP to a device MAC address in the router config, and keep the phone set to DHCP.

If the router does not have that feature, then you can install an app that will make it practical to switch between static and dynamic configurations. These apps can do it:

• IP Manager (1.5MB) - Very aesthetically pleasing interface. However, it's still more manual than it needs to be. You must tap the profile to switch to manually, and then tap to confirm. Then it's a few clicks to go back to DHCP.
    • Wifi Static (120KB) - Lets you bind SSIDs to configuration profiles, so it will automatically use the configuration when your device connects.

It's also quite useful to be able to specify SSID priority on the phone, so that it doesn't automatically connect to your neighbors router instead of yours. For that, the "Wi-Fi Ruler" app is good -- and it gets along with "Wifi Static".