WiFi sucks?

Last Updated:

1. willywonkaisrsh

willywonkaisrsh Active Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 4, 2010
    I have had my Droid for the past 3 days. It is rooted with 2.2 and has a Chevy kernel.

It may just be me or the fact that I havent had enough time with the phone but...

it seems like the WiFi is kinda flakey. It seems to have a weaker connection then it should, seems to disconnect for no reason, and sometimes has a hard time connecting at all.

Are these common for the Droid? If so is their a fix?

2. smpage

smpage Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
  3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Oct 28, 2009
    You should do some testing, first. just as an example, I had major issues with my WiFi at home, until I figured out that every SSID in my vicinity, even those I didn't have access to, were all broadcasting on the same channel (most routers seem to default to Channel 6, even if set to 'scan' mode) and that can cause major issues.

I had actually dug out an older router to dedicate to my DROID as my current GamerLounge was simply not playing nicely - worked well with my laptop, but not the DROID.

After I installed the app Wifi Analyzer - Android app on AppBrain I saw all three of the routers at my home were on the same channel - moved my GamerLounge to a manual setting of Channel 1, and found I could take out the old router completely now - I get connectivity through out my house, and this is the speed test I did last night, in a room about 60' away from the router (and around 2 turns of a hallway, no direct line of sight whatsoever):

My connection routinely gives me ~22-25 Mbps, on a wired computer with a Gigabit Ethernet backbone, so to get ~14 Mbps on wireless is pretty amazing.

A bit of troubleshooting:

1. Do you own / manage the WiFi connection that you're trying to use?
    2. Are there other WiFi connections in your area that you DROID can see?
    3. If no to #1, is there one that you can test that either you or a friend of yours owns / manages so that you can test the connectivity of your DROID?