Wifi sync with SMB share to SDCard?General

Last Updated:

1. evildead007

evildead007 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone, brand new here. Just got Eris for wife. So far we both like it a lot.

Is there currently a way to sync up the sdcard with a smb share over the wifi? I've got openfiler running a samba share and all my windows and linux boxes can connect, but it would be perfect if the phone could sync up.

Seems like there would be something in the marketplace, but I could not find anything for free. Also, once the Android 2 update happens, will their be more applications available in the marketplace?

Advertisement
  2. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

evildead007,

I just tried EStrongs File Explorer (v 1.3.5.0, http://www.estrongs.com/en/products/file-explorer.html), and verified it works using (non-anonymous) Workgroup file and printer sharing with a Windows XP SP3 SMB/CIFS server.

I was able to read and write (the latter with a Copy/Paste operation) to the Xp share.

That fits your bill - it's free, and it seems to work!

I didn't try a recursive copy - for instance, "Copy" the /sdcard folder and then paste it to your SMB server... why don't you give that a try and report back if you can get that to work.

BTW ... the file I opened was a JPG image in a folder with lots of other images - this app has a "back/forward" browser that lets you browse through images. Not bad for a free app! :)

HTH

eu1

3. tvn300

tvn300 Member

Hi Erisuser,

I just downloaded estrongs file manager app, and discovered the samba server potential. Searching for Samba info, I found this thread. I'd be very interested in establishing a wireless link to home PCs from my android. Is this essentially what you've done? I don't know anything about samba; can you suggest a place to learn about it? Maybe there is a detailed thread somewhere...

Thanks!

Tom