• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root wifi teather

How do I use it and what devices can be used with it?

The wifi tether app can only be installed on a rooted phone. Once installed, it basically acts as a standard WAP (Wireless Access Point) and any device with a wifi card should be able to hook up to it. You can keep it wide open or limit access just like any WAP. You can also easily kick someone off.

There is also an application called pdanet that will give some functionality of tethering without having to root. However, this has to have some software installed on the computer/device that is attempting to use the phone.

Upvote 0
You need to be oc'd at at least 800 for it to work. If that don't work, change the channel. Hope this helps. I also have wholes rom, my laptop will not even find it without oc 'd to at least 800. But I can never get the encryption to work. After putting in the password my computer always fails to connect.

Upvote 0
Im gonna go ahead and ask the dumb question here to make sure.

you open the wifi tether app and hit begin tethering?
Have you gone into settings and made sure the SSID is there
i use BB, not sholes, but i assume its the same app. maybe im wrong

the Eris has Wifi on? have you tried a laptop or computer with wifi just to rule out eris issue possibility

just wanted to get the obvious questions out of the way

Upvote 0
Ok I have wifi teather with my sholes rom and to try to test it I attempted to locate it using my girlfriends eris and it never showed up so would her phone have to be rooted as well

Just so you don't think you are crazy, I tried this as well and the Eris will not recognize the phone as a WAP. My Windoze box recognizes and links to it fine. The Droid wifi tether is beta and currently does not have any way to set the mode. It defaults to Ad-Hoc and I don't think this will work with some devices, possibly the Eris is one. If anyone knows how to set this mode to Managed, I believe that would do the trick.

Just to confirm, has anyone been able to get the Eris to link to the Droid in this manner?

Upvote 0
So looking into this a little more, it does not appear that you can currently have an android phone access through wifi tether:

Issue 222 - android-wifi-tether - SSID cannot be scanned/seen by another Android device - Project Hosting on Google Code

It does have to do with ad-hoc mode. For more enthralling reading, you can look at this issue, which is currently marked as low and is quite old. The comment at the bottom gives a timeline of having this capability as about never:

Issue 11 - android-wifi-tether - ad hoc vs. infrastructure - Project Hosting on Google Code

So, the bottom line is that another android device will not connect to wifi tether for the foreseeable future.

Upvote 0
What channels has seemed to work for everyone

?? - From what I have gathered, it doesn't matter what channel you have the tether on, the Eris (or any device that won't connect to an ad-hoc wifi) will never see the wifi.

Have you tried connecting a Windows machine to it and it is not working? If that is the case, then that is a separate issue, but your original post was attempting to connect an Eris to the Droid. It won't work. I've looked into it, to see if there was an easy hack, but people a lot smarter than me have given up on it.

Upvote 0
Unless somebody overhauls the wifi tether code and hacks the kernel, wifi tether will not be able to broadcast in AP.

So let's think, solutions people! If the broadcasting device can't easily be changed, what about the receiving device?

Browsing through the issue reports linked to earlier (Issue 222), I came across this page:

http://moss.csc.ncsu.edu/~mueller/rt/rt09/readings/projects/g3/

Apparently, a grad student (at my school, naturally) wrote an ad-hoc application to enable ad-hoc connections on the g1. Might be worth a shot, check it out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones