• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wifi tether and school p2p filters

drybin

Jul 11, 2010
i love my school's wifi, but they have a p2p block that will kick me off my connection if i try to use it. Can i use the wifi tether after connecting to school internet and then connect my laptop to the droidx? will the speeds be comparable to me just connecting straight to wifi? and is there any ways that the p2p filter still might catch me or will this method work?

i guess i'll try it anyways and play dumb if i get kicked off my saying "oh, someone must have connected through my phone's wifi tether app"

:D

If you are accessing the internet through wifi tether (can only be connected wirelessly to one network at a time on your laptop) then yes, P2P should function. It will be slow, and may get you kicked off of Verizon, as p2p connections are pretty obvious (multiple connections to several IP's simultaneously maxing out your connection). If the connection's not encrypted, then Verizon could probably even see the filename.

If you're computer savvy, setup your computer at home with uTorrent, PeerBlocker, and a FTP server (I use cerebus). Use Torrent-Fu to queue bittorrent files from your phone to your PC, then use a FTPS (SSL Encrypted FTP... do not use SFTP, as it's too slow at the moment) to transfer the downloaded file from your home PC to your phone (I use FSync, but AndFTP works as well).

Privacy is ensured as long as you force cerebus to use encryption for both protocol and data traffic, and your home ISP is less likely to care about P2P traffic than Verizon is. Might take a little longer, but I'd rather keep my head down low.

Reactions: drybin
Upvote 0
okay, i understood the first paragraph that you ssaid but the rest idk. I guess the main point i was trying to illustrate is to use my phone as a funnel for my utorrent downloads like this:
1. connect phone to wifi from school.
2. turn on wifi tether from phone
3. connect computer to phone's tether, download.
would that work? would i have to encrypt?
btw, Cox Communications did turn off my internet for a day b/c of torrents. could you help me out? kind of off topic from dx,but its all under the same umbrella right?

Upvote 0
okay, i understood the first paragraph that you ssaid but the rest idk. I guess the main point i was trying to illustrate is to use my phone as a funnel for my utorrent downloads like this:
1. connect phone to wifi from school.
2. turn on wifi tether from phone
3. connect computer to phone's tether, download.
would that work? would i have to encrypt?
btw, Cox Communications did turn off my internet for a day b/c of torrents. could you help me out? kind of off topic from dx,but its all under the same umbrella right?

Wifi tether shares your 3g verizon connection with your laptop. You cannot share a wifi connection from your phone, you would simply connect to the original wifi.

Check out protocol encryption in utorrent. Also peerblocker. You really want to use p2p sparingly... No need to have everything.

Upvote 0
Solution: Get a different home ISP and setup the ftps-server solution as described above. I doubt your school is blocking FTPS traffic, so it would help you in that regard as well. Spending a little bit of time banging your head against the wall trying to set it up will probably do you some good and teach you about networking/firewall configuration/security.

If you're still living at home (which it sounds like you are by the way you convey yourself) well then you're probably screwed. Offer to pay the difference between COX and DSL/Fiber/whatever. Your parents might be impressed, I know I'd be impressed if my kids showed the initiative to pay continually for something they wanted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones