Wifi Tether App not working

1. spongebomb12

spongebomb12 New Member

So i recently Rooted my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 and the first app I installed was the wifi tether app. I dont know why, but whenever I tether it, i see that my laptop has a connection (like about 5 bars) but it has that little exclamation mark with the yellow triangle around it, so when connect onto that wifi, My browser says their is not internet. Please tell me why i cant connect onto the internet? and please tell me how i can fix it, better yet please tell me how to connect onto the internet.

Advertisement
    :
  2. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

Is the galaxy player connected to the internet in any way?
  3. spongebomb12

spongebomb12 New Member

No why?? i turn off the wifi before using the tether. does that do anything?
  4. euph_22

So...
    You have device A (the Galaxy Player) that isn't connected to the internet, and device B (the laptop) that also doesn't have an internet connection. Why do you think hooking the two together with Wifi will get you an internet connection?
  5. spongebomb12

spongebomb12 New Member

Mabey I dont get the concept of WiFi tether. I always thought it generated WiFi. So what is a WiFi tether
  6. victoria_sog

victoria_sog Member

Maybe if you turn internet connection on on your laptop it will help?
  7. euph_22

They are basically the exact same thing. It's just a way of connecting other devices to the phone (or other Android device) to share it's internet connection.
  8. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

If your galaxy player has no data connection (3g/4g), then WiFi tether is useless to you unfortunately.

An understanding on WiFi tether:

When you have a rooted device you can use WiFi tether to wirelessly share your data connection (3g/4g) with any WiFi capable devices (laptops, tabs, phones, etc). The phone with the data connection acts as a WiFi hotspot.

As I said you can't use WiFi tether without a working data connection.

Sent From My Paranoid Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2
  9. spongebomb12

spongebomb12 New Member

Thank you very much. i like how you explained it. now i finally understand.