• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wifi Tether, but still being charged!

flyboy47

Lurker
Jul 4, 2012
hey guys, i rooted my Motorola Droid 3 the other day and got the Wifi Tether app (by Muller, Lemons, Buxton, and Robinson) BUT my verizon bill still shows me using data via mobile hotspot.

the only reason i rooted my droid was so that this wouldn't happen...suggestions?

I've not used that tethering app myself - I'm a happy user of Open Garden WiFi.

Your post would indicate you have purchased the tethering option from Big Red. If so it may be possible that with that turned on, that may be allowing them a better chance of seeing if you are tethered. This is a guess on my part though - there be far wiser minds than I who could probably answer that better.

If it is checking the UserAgent strings then I've heard fill have success with modifying it on their desktop browser to circumnavigate the issue.

Upvote 0
i'm tethering on Windows 7

i have unlimited data, but 2 GB wifi hotspot limit. any way to get around this?
The way I see it you have three options.

1. Try using a different tethering app

2. Get a USB cable and do wired tethering (as far as I know carriers are ok with this)

3. Pay for it if you want the wireless tethering that badly

There are some free options for wired tethering, I would say that or just paying for the service are your best bet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones