Wifi Tether in infrastructure mode???

Last Updated:

1. npaulseth

npaulseth New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, I've searched and searched and have tried multiple versions of the wifi tether app, but I can't seem to find one that will broadcast in infrastructure mode with the new OTA update (yes I re-rooted my phone after, and confirmed root).

Anyone had any luck, and if so, what version/mods have you done?

Thanks!!

Advertisement
  2. tmwilsoniv

tmwilsoniv Well-Known Member

What is "Infrastructure mode?"

3. npaulseth

npaulseth New Member This Topic's Starter

Otherwise know as "AP" mode. It's the signal normal wifi routers broadcast. Currently, wifi tether broadcast as an AD-HOC connection, which is essentially a computer-to-computer connect. PSPs, PS3s, xBox, ect, won't connect to an AD-HOC network, as well as a lot of locked down corporate laptops.

Wifi tether broadcasting in infrastructure mode would work with all of those devices.

The Sprint Mobile Hotspot app broadcasts in infrastructure mode.

4. trentpreston

trentpreston New Member

If you go to google and type in android wifi tether and download the lastest verison you can create a mobile access point. After installing the apk, open the apk and go to menu then to settings. Click on change device profile and chose your phone. Then click on change setup method and chose netd(master). Close out the setting and start the tether. You know have a mobile access point. Your tablet will be able to see it and connect to it.

ocnbrze, takirb and dustwun77 like this.
  5. takirb

takirb Well-Known Member

There was a new version of "WiFi Tether" that was out a few months ago that did actually allow my PS3 to connect. It was built into the Xplod ROM (port from a Sony phone), so I'm not sure if that tether app is in the market or not. It also had known connectivity issues at the time, and I was unable to get it "online", though it did indeed connect. Might wanna try a quick search for it in case its working now. Which ROM are you running? I'm currently using MIUI, and thankfully its built-in hotspot runs in infrastructure mode.

ocnbrze likes this.