wifi tether settings problem?

Last Updated:

1. hortstu

hortstu Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm trying to use wifi tether for the first time here. I have pre 11, because that's what came with Fresh.

I know I actually had it working for about 10 seconds. Then I tried to enable encryption and couldn't figure out the proper settings so I shut it off, put the settings back at unprotected (in laptop) then can't connect. Even though my computer recognizes an excellent connection and my evo detects my computer and says it is connected.

First, what did I screw up in the settings and how do I get this working again, and

2nd, how do I get encryption to work. What are the settings to choose in my computer?

Oh also I toggled 4g in the middle of messing with it to see if my speeds improved. I think that might have hurt too.

Are there any known problems with 3g consistency in the latest fresh?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

manage apps, find wireless tether clear data and that should restore app to default. and i believe that the encryption key can be only 8 numbers no more no less

hortstu likes this.
  3. hortstu

Thanks wake...

Can I use 4g with wifi tether or should I leave it off?

4. hortstu

Nevermind. it works with 4g

5. hortstu

However I still can't get encryption to work. Anyone have any suggestions?

6. hortstu

Silly me. Matlock put the answer to my problem in his thread. Here's the link in case you're here trying to solve the same problem.

Look to the middle of section 5 in the first post.
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies-extras.html#post1715227

The only thing I would add to this is that I had to wait a minute or two on the vista computer. Then all of the sudden, I thought Matlock's directions didn't work, a popup asked me to id the network as home, work, or public. Since then it had worked fine.