WiFi Tether with Root not working

1. jcommerce

jcommerce Well-Known Member

Did the Zedomax root and it worked flawlessly. However I can't get my laptop or desktop to connect via WiFi Tether. Phone is showing DL and UL data and the computers are connecting fine, but when I open their browsers, they will not connect to internet. Any tips? (Never had this problem with the OG EVO)

Advertisement
  2. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

When you get the error message on your browser click on troubleshoot and see if it can solve the issue. This worked for my laptop last week with the OG, I was getting the same scenerio.
  3. jcommerce

Tried this last night and again today. Keep getting the message "Reset your wireless network adapter". It also recommends restarting the device, which I tried several times.

On my laptop, I cannot connect at all, I just get the above message. On my desktop, I'm able to enter the security code, but my browser will not connect to the internet.

Here are my WiFi tether settings (as recommended by the developer):

Device - Generic ICS
    WiFi Encrypt - Checked
    WiFi Driver Reload - Checked
    Enable Access Control - Checked
    Routing Fix - Checked
    Disable Wake Lock - Checked

Any other thoughts??
  4. jcommerce

A word of warning for those using FoxFi...the HTC driver update required for this root disables FoxFi's ability to hotspot. Now that I've rooted, I'm having trouble getting WiFi Tether to work, so I'm SOL until further notice (WiFi Tether appears to be working on the phone, shows DL and UL data, and the hotspot shows up on my laptop and desktop. However, my laptop cannot connect at all and my desktop connects, but I can't connect to internet)
  5. exclamation_mark

exclamation_mark Well-Known Member

I just rooted and downloaded wifi tether, changed my settings to what you have here and could not connect so I tried changing the password and was able to connect and surf the web.
    If you haven't already try changing the password/passcode
    jcommerce likes this.
  6. takirb

takirb Well-Known Member

If access control is checked, are you making sure to allow the laptop hostname from the EVO? Have you tried the connection with all wifi tether security turned off yet? If you can connect with the AP wide open, work backwards enabling security until you hit a wall. Just something to try anyways...
    jcommerce likes this.
  7. jcommerce

Well, the laptop connected once I change the password and I thought I was home free but, alas, still no intenet. I don't get it. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  8. jcommerce

Success! I uncheked access control, changed the password and we have internet! It doesn't ask for the password even though wi-fi encryption is enabled...but, for now, I'll take it! Thanks Takirb and Exclamation!
    takirb and Granite1 like this.
  9. Granite1

No thank you for posting back what fixed your error. Now we have one more success story to use in the troubleshooting arsenel. :)
    jcommerce likes this.
  10. entiel

entiel Member

F.Y.I: After searching for "wifi tether" and "EVO", Google will take you to the developer's page, but only display the 2.xx versions of the software due to the "EVO" keyword.. I couldn't get any of them to work until I found and downloaded the 3.1 beta version.
  11. exclamation_mark

exclamation_mark Well-Known Member

I downloaded the one from the market.

*I just checked and the one I got from the market (or "Google Play") is version 3.1-beta 14
  12. phlawlessk

phlawlessk New Member

I am experiencing the same problem with my wifi tethering. I've read the above posts and tried the same actions. I've disable the Access Control and changed my password, to no avail... When booting up the Wifi tether I did recieve an error message that directed me to reivew the "Show Log." Upon review I saw this: "Starting softap... failed" and "Activation WiFi Interface...failed" every other process has done by them. Please help?!?
  13. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!
    what rom are you on?
  14. falconey

falconey Well-Known Member

Hi guys try chaning device to
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus(CDMA/LTE)
    Clicking on MSS Clamping
    Clicking on Routing Fix

This works for me with or without Access Control.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  15. 3vodroid

3vodroid Well-Known Member

Yes everything you said!... But I was told to change device to generic ics? :confused:.. Along with mss clamping and the router fix.

That's what I've been using. It works great!
    ocnbrze likes this.
  16. Granite1

I use foxfi without a hitch. You'll need to locate a copy of the app from the interwebs, Sprint blocks it now in the market.
    ocnbrze and 3vodroid like this.
  17. eskripoc

eskripoc Member

i can't seem to get the wifi tether running either. i've got deck's reloaded.
    i've tried all the suggested variations above but to no avail...
  18. suprmallet

suprmallet Well-Known Member

I couldn't get Wifi Tether to work on CM10. It's the only reason I'm not using it right now.