Wifi Tether

Last Updated:

1. DgDeBx

DgDeBx Member

I really want to use wifi tether on my Motorola Droid, but I don't have any desire to run custom ROMs or overclock my processor. I am happy with Launcher Pro as my launcher. Can I just root my phone to run wifi tether without installing a custom ROM or having to do a bunch of other things? I don't want to do anything that has a chance of bricking my phone.

Advertisement
  2. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no way to brick the Droid anyway (and I mean NO WAY AT ALL, even if you try), but yes, you can just root the phone to get the Superuser Permissions app and then install wifi-tether.
  3. DgDeBx

DgDeBx Member

Is there a one-click root for the Droid that will keep me on Froyo (or Gingerbread)?
  4. skilaufen

skilaufen Well-Known Member

Rooting your phone nowdays is as easy as falling off a log drunk! When you root though you need to go to the market and download Barnacle Wifi since it will work with the stock kernel. The wireless tether app you see listed here wont work with the stock kernel. Barnacle works great though and I used it for awhile before I flashed a cusotm ROM.

For a simple root you can try and use superoneclick root or soup for root. I have heard a lot of people recommend those both. You can find links to them in the All things root forum under Droid.
  5. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

You can use PDA net to tether to your laptop through your USB cable and that way you don't have to root your phone. Just have to load PDA net on your laptop to. Its easy and I used this before I rooted my phone and use wireless tether. PDA net can be found on the market and is free.