• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] Wifi tether

she has the 30 dolalr plan so no tethering is included for her, hence my confusion.

if it turns out it detects chromeos in a special way and that allows full access without user agent switching to a mobile device (which results in mobile sites etc. then it may be worth looking into so people can tether and have a "desktop" browser that works fine :)

Reactions: ARocker
Upvote 0
This one works well so far :)

This one doesnt :(

This is the Chrome OS user agent? Interesting.
First one I use myself. It's Firefox version 24 which is two versions order than current one. So it works :D
The other one is the latest chrome.
she has the 30 dolalr plan so no tethering is included for her, hence my confusion.

if it turns out it detects chromeos in a special way and that allows full access without user agent switching to a mobile device (which results in mobile sites etc. then it may be worth looking into so people can tether and have a "desktop" browser that works fine :)
Sorry to break it to you but her $30 plan does include 100MB free tethering. So it may be she is still using the allowed data. You will know for sure when she passes that.

thats her hp chromebook 11's user agent.

Still not working for me. Cant even load AF.
To successfully use a string you have to go at least two versions older. I'm on my phone now. Tomorrow I'll get the proper string when I get to my laptop. Really hate to browse on a phone:rolleyes: that's why I strive to find a string that gives me the perfect browser experience :D

Upvote 0
First one I use myself. It's Firefox version 24 which is two versions order than current one. So it works :D
The other one is the latest chrome.

Sorry to break it to you but her $30 plan does include 100MB free tethering. So it may be she is still using the allowed data. You will know for sure when she passes that.

To successfully use a string you have to go at least two versions older. I'm on my phone now. Tomorrow I'll get the proper string when I get to my laptop. Really hate to browse on a phone:rolleyes: that's why I strive to find a string that gives me the perfect browser experience :D

ah, good to know that would certainly explain it.

Upvote 0
Just rooted my S4 and bought the app to use it with my newly purchased Surface Pro II.
First attempt to open up Chrome on my Pro and i got the Metro website, so then i simply added https:// before anything and its worked so far, although i must admit its a bit annoying, then i downloaded an agent switcher and while it works on some sites, on others you get the mobile version of the site which is also pretty annoying. Still pretty usable overall though i cant complain, not like im trying to leech off my MPCS line for my home internet or to download absurd amounts of data as some here like to do, just to make my Pro II usable where ever my phone is since im always on the go.
Only issue im having is that i was planning to install a KitKat ROM on my S4 but after reading these last posts it seems like this app, which appears to be the only way to get wifi tethering from out non-tethering plans, does not work with other ROMs and versions of android. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
These are my settings and as you can see it works.
Thx so much Danyvw (& Fabio)! I just got new Metropcs Galaxy S4 about 2 months ago & got it rooted but they couldn't get it to tether. This app plus your settings (posted 11/6/13 4:48pm) worked beautifully! Channel 6 didn't work but it worked with Channel 2 for me. I am posting this msg from my Galaxy Tab 3 tethering from my Galaxy S4. Thx again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones